Test only or try to pass?

'86T

Sure that's a Buick??
I just purchased an 1986 Ttype that was registered and originally sold in Michigan. It is being shipped to me in California next week. I was wondering before I try to register it here in California if I should maybe "test only" the car first or just try to see if it will pass the strict smog requirements on the dyno. The car is all stock with 65,000 miles. Do I have anything to worry about?
Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve

Does it run well?? fresh tune up?? If so then I would give it a shot...If it doesn't run well (a little rough maybe) then I'd tune it up first, but I wouldn't expect to many problems on a good running stock car, besides if it fails you can try again.

Originally posted by '86T
I just purchased an 1986 Ttype that was registered and originally sold in Michigan. It is being shipped to me in California next week. I was wondering before I try to register it here in California if I should maybe "test only" the car first or just try to see if it will pass the strict smog requirements on the dyno. The car is all stock with 65,000 miles. Do I have anything to worry about?
Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve
Finally found out what kind of emissions test Michigan uses. It looks like an idle emissions test only. So not the same as CA enhanced program. As stated above, if the engine runs good and is truely stock, it should have no problems passing. Because this is initial registration in CA, there is no cost limit to get the vehicle to comply. So if it fails, the cost burden (of repairing to compliance) will be yours to bear. Since you live in the Sacramento metropolitan area, you can call 255-4217 and I'll try to answer your concerns.

I'll give it a thorough tune-up and see how she runs when I get the car. If I have any concerns I'll take up your offer and call you.
Thanks for your research and help!
Steve