You can type here any text you want

TH-400 Converter choices?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cheeseburger

I need a torque converter but would like it to work with 2 different motors!
Stage II headed motor with a 76-88mm turbo and a tsm built race motor with a 70 turbo.
Is there a converter that would work well with both combinations?

TIA!!:cool:

NC big 10 bolt together, take it apart and change stall when changing motors

You should be able to make a converter work on both. Of course one combo may slip a bit more than the other. My ATI converter from my TSM combo worked well with my S2 motor also. They both slipped just about the same amount.

Im sure PTC could come up with something that would work well on both, and be efficient on both ends.

Give Dan a shout Mike. It sounds like your looking for a Neil Chance convertor. With shims you can play with stall speeds from 3500 to 4200rpm by adding or substracting shims inside it.

I just installed a PTC converter from Dusty. Seems a little loose just playing around on the street. He claims it wil lock up quite nicely on the big end of the track. I'll find out next week.:biggrin:

I just installed a PTC converter from Dusty. Seems a little loose just playing around on the street. He claims it wil lock up quite nicely on the big end of the track. I'll find out next week.:biggrin:

Dave from what I have seen it should lock up tight on the top.

UPDATE!!

Special Thanks to Fred Leblanc, got a good deal on a Neil Chance bolt together unit at Bowling Green.:cool:

There's a big difference between a 76mm and 88mm so that needs to be ironed out.

But the right 9.5 will work with both turbo's on 2 different cars with no changes. It comes down to the rpm ranges of the 2 motors.

UPDATE!!

Special Thanks to Fred Leblanc, got a good deal on a Neil Chance bolt together unit at Bowling Green.:cool:

No problem Mike, in the end everybody ended up happy. :smile:

P.S. - How was the border when you got back? the line on monday was an hour and a half long! :mad:

Freddy

No problem Mike, in the end everybody ended up happy. :smile:

P.S. - How was the border when you got back? the line on monday was an hour and a half long! :mad:

Freddy

No problem, drove right in and through!
Long drive though, i had to get some sleep while my buddy drove for a while.

Back