You can type here any text you want

The more i look @ it this aint stock?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

greeneyegi

after having the shock perch come off on trip home,i purchased a new bilstein,for now .
im under the car looking at it ,when i look it dont look stock.this is my first regal so bear with me hear.
im thinking the original spot is near the caliper?am i correct?
maybe this is why it seemed to be bottoming out?
the travel is a bit shorter?

Attachments

• KIMG0248.JPG
    KIMG0248.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 292
  • 1404580990153.jpg
    1404580990153.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 296
  • KIMG0246.JPG
    KIMG0246.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 311
  • KIMG0248.JPG
    KIMG0248.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 281
Looks like that's an aftermarket bracket to move the shock over to clear the caliper.

I'd say that's not stock :) Should be drum brakes back there. Looks like the e-brake for the disc conversion interferes with the stock shock location, so a shock relocation bracket was provided, of inferior strength/design :eek:

Attachments

• QA1 Gbody Rear Coil Over Mount Kit1.jpg
    QA1 Gbody Rear Coil Over Mount Kit1.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 128
  • QA1 Gbody Rear Coil Over Mount Kit3.jpg
    QA1 Gbody Rear Coil Over Mount Kit3.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 106
  • QA1 G body rear coil over mounting kit.jpg
    QA1 G body rear coil over mounting kit.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 107
I don't think the QA solution will work. The shock needs to be relocated inside the perch. The QA is stock-ish, which is behind the perch, interfering with the brake conversion. Attached is the DSE kit installation. I'm not saying to buy their product, its $$$ and has issues, but just look at the lower bracket on the first page, it puts the mount entirely inboard of the perch, out of the brake's way - that's the sort of relocation bracket you want.

Attachments

I'm looking at your pictures more carefully. I thought the interference was the e-brake line going into the brake system and the braided brake line was coming from the axle end (3rd picture). But in the first picture it looks like what I thought was the e-brake is simply a covering for the brake line. I'm wondering if that bracket interfering with the stock shock location can be removed altogether and the braided flex line re-routed and mounted to the axle tube, kinda like how the factory did it. That would be the simplest and cheapest solution.

I'm looking at your pictures more carefully. I thought the interference was the e-brake line going into the brake system and the braided brake line was coming from the axle end (3rd picture). But in the first picture it looks like what I thought was the e-brake is simply a covering for the brake line. I'm wondering if that bracket interfering with the stock shock location can be removed altogether and the braided flex line re-routed and mounted to the axle tube, kinda like how the factory did it. That would be the simplest and cheapest solution.
just got back ,didnt get any notifications about replies.

everything worked great for a long time.just till the last trip when it seemed to be bottoming out and the bracket fell off.im going to look more at it but i think that bracket moving inboard might work...thanks for the replies guys!

forget about the shock mounts for a just a second: you have a nut missing from the right side lower control arm bolt..

forget about the shock mounts for a just a second: you have a nut missing from the right side lower control arm bolt..
thats the bolt going through the trailing arat held on the bracket.i thought it had broke off .but when i got under their it turned out it wasnt a stock bracket and the bolt fell off and the little lock screw they had fabbed fell out also.
im getting under their today to see if the relocation bracket from q1a will work.i also am waiting on my lower hr arms,and putting in an hr sway bar and adjustable uppers.figured i would deal with all of it @ once.

I think he had removed the bracket on that side to compare to the left side. The bracket is held on by that bolt.

after having the shock perch come off on trip home,i purchased a new bilstein,for now .
im under the car looking at it ,when i look it dont look stock.this is my first regal so bear with me hear.
im thinking the original spot is near the caliper?am i correct?
maybe this is why it seemed to be bottoming out?
the travel is a bit shorter?
Those existing brackets would be much better if they were welded to the existing lower arm mount after bolting them back in place..... That 1/4 or 5/16 hole that is being used as a shear bolt to keep it from rotating does not impress me much..... When the car is on the ground how much shock travel is there for up and down movement using the mounting point as a zero reference?

Those existing brackets would be much better if they were welded to the existing lower arm mount after bolting them back in place..... That 1/4 or 5/16 hole that is being used as a shear bolt to keep it from rotating does not impress me much..... When the car is on the ground how much shock travel is there for up and down movement using the mounting point as a zero reference?
i have it all apart now,but their was a couple inches of travel,unloaded.
i guess it depends on spring strength for how much i will need?
these are eibach with 1.5 inch lower then stock springs

Back