The north is coming south...at least this guy

earlbrown

runs with scissors
May 26, 2001
lagrange, GA
She is pretty nice for letting me tag along. She is my sugar momma. We decided 2 years ago that Illinois was a sinking ship and we needed to get out while the kids were still young. We both grew up here, went to school here, and a lot of our friends are all still in the area so leaving was not a very easy choice. In the end this is a great move for her career and I'm one of those people that learns anything pretty quick so I just pick up what I can when we land on our feet. Maybe I'll take some time off, if the budget allows, to take care of the kids until they are both in school full time.

Just wait until you see what food costs per pound here .vs what you're used to (I'm sure you've already noticed the real estate prices).

Most likely, your budget will be fine.

Darkstar72

Oct 1, 2017
ILLINOIS
Just wait until you see what food costs per pound here .vs what you're used to (I'm sure you've already noticed the real estate prices).

Most likely, your budget will be fine.
I agree...those real estate prices are awesome. A lot of the houses we are looking at cost only slightly more than what we paid for our current house and it's double the size. It's nice now that we are experience home owners so I know exactly what I need out of my next house. Best case scenario is the relocation assistance allows them to just give us a reasonable offer on our house so we don't have to try to deal with getting it sold ourselves while also trying to close on a new house. The housing market has so many options too. No shortage of options.

LANDAU LIMITED

Dec 20, 2015
Carol stream IL.
Ha! 40 is not “cold” per se in our neck of the woods. 40s for us just means to put a knit cap along with a hoodie when going out.
In the fall 40's is maybe put on a jacket, in the spring it's time to put the top down on the convertible while heading to the beach. Congrats on the move. I can't wait to get out of this pos state we live in also. We have to have a track day before you go.

Darkstar72

Oct 1, 2017
ILLINOIS
I am looking for anyone local to the Columbia, SC area for help/guidance in what neighborhoods to avoid and which areas are more desirable to live with kids, i.e. schools, safety, etc. We do not need to live in Columbia proper and willing to live a ways out for the right area for our family.

TIA

Darkstar72

Oct 1, 2017
ILLINOIS
After researching the rankings on the school districts near Columbia we have narrowed our house search down to Lexington, SC so we can be in Lexington District 1 which we found was ranked 5th best in the state. Also the property taxes are substantially lower in Lexington compared to Columbia.

If anyone here is already in Lexington, or nearby, I would love to hear what you have to say about the area.

salvageV6

Daily Driver
May 25, 2001
Connecticut
I googled best suburbs of Columbia and got Irmo. o_O

Supposedly great schools and only 11.5K people, my kinda town. :cool:

Good luck wherever you end up. :)

Darkstar72

Oct 1, 2017
ILLINOIS
sounds like you should at least go do some poking around for a couple days to get a feel for things , things dont always add up on paper :cool:
Yes. That is a given. I'm sure we will have a couple weekend trips for house hunting and get a feel for what we like.

Irmo does look good since a lot of their housing is not in HOAs (which I prefer not to deal with an HOA at all) and their school district still ranked in the top 5 for the state. I'm adding Irmo to my search list.

Reactions: salvageV6

captflash

Old and Bold
May 10, 2009
North Palm Beach, Fl.
We have not had any snow in three years, I live ( yes I’m still living ) about 70 miles west north west of Columbia. Hot as hell there in the summer. Yes you can drive your TR year round. If your want to know or if someone ask the a Mason Dixon line is about three miles north of Charlotte NC. LoL. Charleston, SC is one of the coolest city’s in the country. The only city in the south that Sherman that didn’t burn to the ground. He had a mistress that lived there. True story. Enjoy
He didn’t burn down Savannah either

Reactions: grass doctor

1952ray

Scrambled Dog
Aug 26, 2013
After researching the rankings on the school districts near Columbia we have narrowed our house search down to Lexington, SC so we can be in Lexington District 1 which we found was ranked 5th best in the state. Also the property taxes are substantially lower in Lexington compared to Columbia.

If anyone here is already in Lexington, or nearby, I would love to hear what you have to say about the area.
Lexington is a ok place to live, however West Columbia is the BAD part of town, and you do go through West Columbia to get downtown .Downtown is ok except after dark it’s not so cool. Five points is the drunk part of town where the college kids hang out. I have a daughter that is a sophomore at USC. She she packs a.380 everywhere she goes for my sanity. And yes she shots better then I do. Yes I’m to old to have a 19 year old as I have grandchildren older then her, however it’s my second life. What’s left of it.

Reactions: Darkstar72

KC87

Feb 11, 2009
@1952ray
We know those federal jobs pay mucho bucks so why not hire a private tutor like the big dogs do. Maybe 22yo, blond, 5'5", 130#! She could live in and double as a nanny-housekeeper! :LOL::LOL:

Darkstar72

Oct 1, 2017
ILLINOIS
Lexington is a ok place to live, however West Columbia is the BAD part of town, and you do go through West Columbia to get downtown .Downtown is ok except after dark it’s not so cool. Five points is the drunk part of town where the college kids hang out. I have a daughter that is a sophomore at USC. She she packs a.380 everywhere she goes for my sanity. And yes she shots better then I do. Yes I’m to old to have a 19 year old as I have grandchildren older then her, however it’s my second life. What’s left of it.

I'm used to BAD parts of town as I worked in Chicago for over 7 years as operations manager for a light duty roadside assistance company and we covered the entire city - north, south, east, and west. I already planned on registering for my CCW upon my arrival to SC and will be carrying my subcompact 9 MM and will likely get the wife on board with the same. I also planned on getting a nice pump shotgun for the house at all times. We don't even go downtown currently unless we really have to as I don't care for all the hassle that goes along with it - traffic, cost, etc.

My wife is very keen on school districts and looking over all the districts in Columbia proper they are pretty much garbage, rated very low in the state. We are currently working with a couple realtors in the are that we have given our requirements to for our new house (price, school districts, garage requirements <---- that one is all me, lol) so we will see what they come up with.

Thank you for your input Ray. I truly appreciate hearing from someone that knows the area.

KC87

Feb 11, 2009
IIrc SC was introducing a bill to join other 14 constitutional carry states but think it got shelved but they are a shall issue state.

GNICETRY

Cat&wife post starter
May 26, 2001
Queens 2 Middletown, NY 2 Charleston, SC
First off being 5th in SC is like being 5th best on a HS JV baseball team (not saying much). Watch Jeopardy and tell me if they are ever from SC. SC is 41 out of 50 in education in US. Around the same for driving. It was 70* today in Charleston. Columbia is sort of in a hole, brutally hot in summer and pretty cold in winter (cold for SC though). You CAN drive your car 12 months here but you wouldn't want to from June-Sept, unless at night. If you want PM me with your phone number and we'll talk. I moved down from NY to N. Charleston.

Oh and don't worry about carrying a gun here. They get one for grammar school graduation down here, I think it is a state law. And ANYONE can carry one in the glove box. Seriously. Not kidding.

Darkstar72

Oct 1, 2017
ILLINOIS
I noticed that through the entire state the education wasn't going to be amazing compared to the nation, but if my kids are going to be in the public school system then I want to at least make sure it's better than the crap ratings found in the other districts. Did you move down with small kids that were going to grow up there and have a different upbringing than yourself? How long have you been down there?

We are still in a pretty big holding pattern right now as we wait for the relocation package information to come through. Pretty excited about the options for housing cost wise compared to what that same money gets you up here in our neck of the woods. My biggest celebration will be the day I get to tell my work that my ass is out of here. I've grown to pretty much loathe this place. Kind of like Peter from Office Space is where I'm at right now. Looking forward to the change...whatever it may bring.

grass doctor

Sep 21, 2018
saint augustine fl
i think its great youll get a change of pace , and as far as anyones kids they will get a different upbringing regardless, not bc of demographics but bc of the period in time, whole different ball game from when we were raised ... sign of the times, public school system is not what it use to be anywhere but i think it actually grows people into better people it does not shelter as much as private and seeing meeting kids form all types of economic and cultural backgrounds is only a positive IMOP. Just dont forget to fill out your tps reports peter LOL

Darkstar72

Oct 1, 2017
ILLINOIS
yes. agreed. never once as a child did i ever think to try and eat clothes detergent or blindfold myself while driving my car. kids are stupid . LOL.

KC87

Feb 11, 2009
yes. agreed. never once as a child did i ever think to try and eat clothes detergent or blindfold myself while driving my car. kids are stupid . LOL.
Hope you can find one that actually teaches the 3 Rs and none of the politically correct crap. I'd check to see what the district's doctrine is such as are they so stupid to be teaching kindergarten kids about how great transgenderism is and that all the joy boy stupid is totally normal. They're at their most impressionable age and need good solid moral values.
Can't understand that the libtards say you're not mature enough to buy cigarettes or have a beer until 21 but you can decide to become a girl at age 4. Am I missing something here.