the "why i carry a gun" thread made me post this.....for those that carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTAfreak

1. what state do you live in?

2. how hard was it to obtain your CCW

3. what gun do you carry and why?

Im from MS.

getting a CCW permit here is as simple as having a pulse and paying a hundred bucks. This is both a good and a bad thing. sensible people like me, that take training even though its not required should have the easiest way possible to obtain a CCW. but we all know there are also complete morons that will carry. and thats the bad part.

I carry a Kimber pro tactical 1911. IMO, when it comes to protecting your life.....only the best will do and money should be no object in purchasing your weapon.

I also own an HK USP which is a fine firearm, but just doesnt come close to a Kimber IMO.

NC

CCW permits here are pretty tough to get. You have to go to a class, shooting test, and mental health thing too (I think). I know they fingerprint you as well. Strict back ground check. You pass and you get.

TOO MUCH BS IMO.:mad:

I carry a Glock 40 w/laser most of time, stays in truck. When travel with others who do not pack, I carry a snub nose 357.
Use the 40 w/laser because the 40 has close to accuracy and distance of the 9mm and close to knock down power of the 45.
Nice happy medium.
Wherever the RED DOT GOES BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alabama

cost me 10 bucks(maybe 15) one passport photo and wait a couple weeks to make sure i don't have any previous convictions of anything too horribly bad. renew once a year. however if you are on probabtion of any kind they will suspend your CCW until your probation is clear.

i have a Kimber Custom Target II full size 1911 i carry in a comp-tac shirt tucker holster. i either carry a milt sparks in the pocket mag holder with 1-10rd CMC mag or i carry a bianci on the belt dual mag holder with dual 10 rd CMC mags. for ammo i use 230gr federal hydra-shok's.

i don't normally carry all that much unless i'm traveling.

Re: NC

Originally posted by sgrim
CCW permits here are pretty tough to get. You have to go to a class, shooting test, and mental health thing too (I think). I know they fingerprint you as well. Strict back ground check. You pass and you get.

TOO MUCH BS IMO.:mad:

I carry a Glock 40 w/laser most of time, stays in truck. When travel with others who do not pack, I carry a snub nose 357.
Use the 40 w/laser because the 40 has close to accuracy and distance of the 9mm and close to knock down power of the 45.
Nice happy medium.
Wherever the RED DOT GOES BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only really tough things about getting my permit was staying awake during the boring films they showed and washing the ink off my fingers after being fingerprinted. (Lots of lotion before going in helps get it off). Other than that..It was a piece of cake. Stevie Wonder could have hit the target they have you shoot at!!!

Russ:cool:

Florida.
I think it was about $100.oo and a 4 hr class i think....pretty easy.
Glock 26 ( 9mm auto):D

1. Pennsylvania

2. $19 money order. Sheriff's department notifys you when the permit arrives, which they are required to by state law within 45 days (that is if it's issued right on the spot). Permits are usually in your mail in 2 weeks.

3. Varies on dress attire and location. Bigger gun if a large cover garment is used (Glock 20, HK USP fullsize .45acp, HK USP fullsize 9mm). If I am wearing an untucked t-shirt, then perhaps the Glock 19, Taurus model 460 revolver, etc. Woods walking means I carry a big bore revolver like my S&W model 25 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt. No matter what, my S&W 642 Airlite is always with me either as a back-up gun (BUG) or as a primary if it's very hot.

Check out www.glocktalk.com. We have a very diverse group of people there and around 100 forums covering everything you can imagine. I'm a moderator over there with the same username.

1. virginia
2. $50.00
3. sprinfield 1911a1 or glock 32
virginia has an open carry law so i didnt need the CC permit but i got tired of always being asked if i was a cop. the guns i carry are carried because i like them and nothing else, my profession deals with weapons and im a federal firearms instructor so i dont need expensive weapons to kill someone with...im a pro.

another thing, the best sight system to use is a holographic reflex sight, most gunfights happen at very close ranges and a reflex sight is very very simple to use even when crapping your pants.:D

Beg to differ. Best (and most simple) sights to use are the ones that come with the pistol! Meprolite or Trijicon nite sights are both top-notch. No defensive pistol should be without nite sights.

I leave the holo sights for the "race guns". My defensive pistols wear Meps.

i dont need expensive weapons to kill someone with...im a pro.

So was this guy...(right click, save as)

Florida DEA Agent

Originally posted by turbonatr
Beg to differ. Best (and most simple) sights to use are the ones that come with the pistol! Meprolite or Trijicon nite sights are both top-notch. No defensive pistol should be without nite sights.

Florida DEA Agent

i'll agree i love the trijilcon sites on my Beretta, simple and effective,

My personal choice is the .45 ACP and in my opinion is the best calibre for pure stopping power hands down! I wanted a high capacity .45 in the smallest possible package and chose the Taurus PT-145. 10+1 and extremely compact....hard to argue with that package.

I don't have a permit and don't usually carry unless I'm heading out of the sticks where I live and travel towards the city. Or when I'm out of state.

As far as sights I don't believe you need anything fancy. Remember, you're getting a CCW to carry a pistol for defensive purposes only. Most gunfights take place within 12' or less so you're talking about what's called "instinctive shooting". There isn't much need for carefully aimed/sighted shots. Therefore high-dollar sights aren't needed. As already mentioned, Trigicon and other sights that glow at night might be your best bet. I kept the standard Taurus sights on my pistol and feel very confident I can hit my target within 12' without the need for glow-in-the-dark sights....but that's me.

Model: PT-145SSP
Caliber: .45 ACP
Capacity: 10 +1
Barrel Length: 3-1/4"
Porting: No
Action: DAO
Finish: Stainless Steel
Grips: Checkered Polymer
Weight: 23 oz
Construction: Polymer/Steel
Frame: Medium
Front Sight: Fixed- 1 Dot
Rear Sight: Fixed- 2 Dots
Trigger Type: Smooth
Length: 6''
Width: 1.25"
Height: 5.125"
Rate of Twist: 1:16"
Grooves: 6
Safety: Manual Safety, Firing Pin Block, Trigger Block

Attachments

• h_145ssp.jpg
    h_145ssp.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 422
I live in Dallas Tx. We are required to take a 1 Day training class and shooting test. It was approximately $150 for the training class, and I think another $150 for the license.

I carry either a springfield XD in 9mm or Colt 1911 in 45acp. I usuaslly carry the XD because it's easier to shoot with, strip and clean, and it's less expensive.

I started carrying for basic protection from your usual bad elements.

Now I carry mostly for protection from stray animals. There are a large number of aggressive strays or loose animals in my neighborhood. I have been attacked on two seperate occasions, luckily I had my Boxer with me both times. I was not carrying on either occasion because they were short trips to my brothers or parents houses.

I carry religiously now for protection from man or animal.

Chris S

Originally posted by TT/A1233
My personal choice is the .45 ACP and in my opinion is the best calibre for pure stopping power hands down!

All service calibers have failed to stop bad guys many times. "Stopping power" is a catch phrase used to sell gun magazines and ammunition. There really is no such thing. Proper shot placement trumps "power" every time. Todays modern JHPs in 9mm, .357Sig, .40S&W, 10mm and .45acp all perform virtually the same in 10% calibrated ballistic gelatin. As long as your chosen carry load penetrated between 12"and 18" and you place your shots where they need to be, you'll be as well armed as anyone else carrying a service-size pistol (again, assuming you know how to use it).

Here is a very good read. I highly recomend it to all who carry a gun for self defense.

http://www.ammolab.myhomepage.com/page/page/1613332.htm

Agreed, "stopping power" is a catch phrase but one often referred to for a bullet's effectiveness in the lay-community.

9mm's are small and very fast while .45 ACP is large and "cumbersome" by comparison. Shot placement is vital to stopping a threat without a doubt and a .22 is lethal too as long as your shot placement is good. But, given a choice to carry the same physically sized pistol in either a 9mm or .45 ACP (with 2 fewer rounds) I'd take the .45 in a heartbeat. It's about shot placement and the 2 extra rounds the 9mm provides is meaningless to me. Guns are very personal items and what's good for one person may not be suitable for another. With that said, my experience and contact with many lifetime/expert shooters indicate the .45 ACP is the most preferred calibre for stopping a threat cold.

I haven't seen the ballistic tests you refer to about the 10% difference but I've seen many tests in ballistic gelatin that have widely varying results. I find the mass of the .45 ACP round appealing. Even if shot placement is off the .45 WILL do major damage simply because of it's mass.

It's kind of like a slow moving freight train hitting a car. Even though it's moving slowly it does MAJOR DAMAGE. Compare that to a faster moving compact car hitting another car. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either but given a choice I certainly wouldn't want to get hit by that train.

My $.02

The 10% I was refering to was in reference to the gelatin, not the difference in the two calibers.

Though the 45acp's bullets are heavier, the respective sectional density is almost identical when comparing their weight catagories. For example, the 147gr. 9mm and 230gr. .45acp share an almost identical sectional density. This means both of these bullets share very similar penetrating abilities. It doesn't matter how heavy a bullet is, if you don't put it where it needs to be, it won't be effective. You will find premium JHPs in these two weights penetrate virtually the same. When comparing two calibers in terms of their sectional densities, their actual bullet weight is almost irrelavent. Also, comparing heavy cars and light cars hitting you has nothing to do with the effects of a heavy bullet and a light bullet. Your experience with expert shooters choosing the 45acp really pales in comparison with the rest of the world using the 9mm as their chosen side arm caliber (as you probably know, the 9mm is the NATO cartridge). BTW, all the professionals I interact and train with want a rifle or shotgun for stopping a threat, not a piss-ant pistol regardless of caliber.;)

Capacity between the two will vary on the platform you choose. For example, the gun you carry may only have a 2 or 3 round advantage for the 9mm pistol, but a 5 round difference in another type of pistol.

I get the same feeling when I hear the words "stopping power" as I get when someone walks up to me in the staging lanes and says, "hey man, nice Monte Carlo".:rolleyes:

To each his own. Carry what ever you shoot best and are most efficient with. A bad guy is not going to be able to tell the difference between being hit with a 147gr. 9mm Gold Dot or a 230gr. .45acp Golden Sabre. What ever you carry, keep pressing the trigger until the threat stops. A real warrior only uses his pistol to fight his way back to his rifle or shotgun.;)

Be safe.

Again, they all perform very much alike. There isn't enough of a difference to make a difference. Carry what you shoot best and don't get caught up in "stoppiong power", etc.

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000581;p=1

Note the paragraph below the pic...

As is quite obvious from the photo above, NONE of the common service pistol calibers generate temporary cavities of sufficient magnitude to cause significant tissue damage.

Service caliber pistols simply do not create the "major damage" you speak of, including the .45acp.

Georgia is a 15 dollar charge and a background check and finger prints. They do not require a safety class but I took one.

I do not usually carry(read very rarely). I like revolvers because I feel they are more accurate. I am able to hold a very tight group at 25yds. Shot for shot I think the 454 cassull (45 CALIBER)will do the job better than a 9mm any day. I believe even a poorly placed shot with the cassull or 45Long Colt+P will stop a determined attacker better than a well place 9mm,,,,, short of a head shot. The CASSULL has the velocity that the 45ACP does not. The CASSULL rounds are kind of tough for a fallow up but the 45Long Colt+Ps are great. I do believe there is such a thing as knock down and I think a 45 caliber gun has more than a 9mm. I've not been knocked down by a baseball but I have by a medicine ball. I do not carry the cassull or any gun for self defense. I just like to blow things up.

Just my 2 cents. I am no expert. Just someone that enjoys target shooting.

excellent posts. thanks for all the replies.

one note for those that carry any weapon with a laser site on it. its personal preference of course.....but remember, that bright red light makes and excellent target for someone to shoot back at.

I never thought of it that way untill an instructor in a tactical course I took made the point.

New Jersey.

Nearly impossible, unless you are a retired LEO, a celebrity, a judge, a friend of a judge, or a rich person who makes large campaign contributions.

If I could get a CCW, it would be my Colt .45 ACP.

Michigan

one 9 hour class

Glock 23-CCW and Glock 22-on duty

I carry a Kimber pro tactical 1911. IMO, when it comes to protecting your life.....only the best will do and money should be no object in purchasing your weapon.

when it comes to protecting MY life i carry what almost 70% of Law Enforcement carry..........GLOCK....... including NYPD and LAPD now those two are reasons enough without the other percentile

Check out www.glocktalk.com. We have a very diverse group of people there and around 100 forums covering everything you can imagine. I'm a moderator over there with the same username.

i am a member also, TONS of good reading, fast answers, tons of traffic

I carry a Glock 40 w/laser most of time

tough to defend in court, when the movies are over and the BG is running at you........center mass until BG stops

Status
Not open for further replies.