thermostat housing removal

nwarky

Hoping someone who has been here before can share how they solved this problem. Trying to remove the stock metal thermostat housing from the intake. This is a real pisser as any engineer knows dissimilar metals will eventually chemically "weld" together in time and here I am trying to remove this housing after 20 years of neglect. The housing we know is sacrificed before we begin so my goal is removal without damaging the intake. Even PB blaster hasn't started to break down the crud. Thought of heat but hesitate again not wanting to damage the intake and that doesn't take into account that PB blaster is flammable! What has worked for others? I am open to all suggestions. And what vendors offer an aluminum replacement housing? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Dean

Place a large socket into the opening, and attach an extension, and gently start rocking, until removed..

Like the above stated... Your'e gonna mangle the old one regardless... I got the stainless replacement... Also, check your hard lines that run parallel to the pax side valve cover to the heater hoses that go into the firewall. I went through the trouble of changing my radiator, hoses, thermostat, etc, and didn't realize that those steel lines were corroded and rotted from the inside out. I got the stainless replacements from one of the vendors on here I believe.

I shove a socket in Thats almost the same dimension with an extension and hit the outside with a dead blow hammer. Usually comes loose and pulls right out with a few hits in different directions. The socket will keep it round if it needs to be re-used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As recommended other reproductions exist but to my knowledge we are the only source or supplier for the reproduction stainless one complete with o-ring.

No idea why GM was so cheap with the original housing. You can easily distort it even if it came out easily.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Again, thanks for all that replied. As usual the board came through for me. I'm not sure which was worse to remove, the housing or the thermostat itself. Belief it was the original 180* from the factory. Can't believe it was still there for 27 years. I'm feeling lucky that it's removed without damage to the intake.