Thermostat

Dutchman

I have a Buick Grand Nationa 87. I want to know if I can eliminate the thermostat and not have any kind of problems for not having it. Can I do it or do I have to replace it no matter what?

WHY?

Do it right & replace it.

Well, for conveniece. Have repaced it a few times already. I just want to get rid of it and want to know if I really need to replace it or if I can just get rid of it without trouble.

Well, for conveniece. Have repaced it a few times already. I just want to get rid of it and want to know if I really need to replace it or if I can just get rid of it without trouble.
There is a reason for a thermostat. Replace it.

Coolant moves to quickly and will cause an overheating problem. Put a good 160 in it and flush the system well.

Coolant moves to quickly and will cause an overheating problem. Put a good 160 in it and flush the system well.
No it doesn't, here in Arizona and now in California. Havent run a t stat in 15 years. Only issue I have some times is on really cold nights getting the temp up above 145deg.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

More internet "fake news"? :)

In our summer temps, a TR will run cooler without a t'stat.

In our winter non-freezing temps, a turbo Buick will run about 150-160 degrees, and in the brutal summers over 100 degs it will run about 180-190 w/o antifreeze, about an additional 15 degs with A/F and T'stat.

Same findings here as nick. However there is a time and place to run a t stat but for my car nope

That's a old timers trick. Take the thermostat off and it will run cooler sometimes too cold. My dad used to do it quite a bit.

Some fuel injected cars will throw a code if it's not up to a certain temperature the computer doesn't like it and turns on the check engine light. I Had this problem on a Silverado

But I've never tried it to a GN

More internet "fake news"? :)

In our summer temps, a TR will run cooler without a t'stat.

In our winter non-freezing temps, a turbo Buick will run about 150-160 degrees, and in the brutal summers over 100 degs it will run about 180-190 w/o antifreeze, about an additional 15 degs with A/F and T'stat.
How that we are talking about cooling system.
I'm sure you and others have noticed how quickly a TR will warm up. Here in Illinois when it's 30 or 40 degrees the car will still warm up in about 10 minutes or less. Why is that?

I've driven many other cars in about the same temperature. Warm up time between 15 and 20 minutes in some case.
These are just idling warm up times.
The car my wife drives right now could sit there 30 minutes idling and barely get up to operating temp. I change the thermostat on her car flushed out cooling system but it's still the same..whatever just leave it I said.

More internet "fake news"? . . .
The Russians.

Agree though. Thermostats have their place and one size doesn't fit all. Never does.

If the system is clean and working, and the engine gets hot/can't stay around the thermostat spec, or temp doesn't drop to the thermostat spec after a run, removal may solve it.
On the other hand, if the car can't get up to temp, the thermostat or adjustment in spec may be needed.

EFI cars need to see xxx temp based on the code and settings, to run as intended.

Believe the original intent for T'stats, was to provide a quicker warm up after cold start.

How quickly dose your Turbo Buick warm up?
I want to compare it to mine. For example it could be 40 degrees out and the car will warm up and about 8 minutes.

Wow, I don't think mine warms up that fast. I'll start doing some checking once I get it back. Not sure if it will be very cold then but I'll report back.