things I learned during my build

V6DVette

aka Smitty
I'd like to see others post their one liners here.
I'll start...

1. NEVER put a time frame on anything your doing
2. NEVER think you're putting something in/on for the last time.
3. If your stuck...go have a beer.:D and think about it some.
4. Take your time, do it right. (OK I know...20 years is pushing it some;) )
5. Think outside the box
6. Use our venders when ever possible.

Anyone else?

Measure five times, cut once ;)

Whatever you think it is going to cost... Double that.

Put the tools down when you are tired.

Shortcuts usually make things longer.

Be safe and do it right, especially when it comes to the fuel system.

Learn to laugh , when "Mr Murphy" pays you a visit.

Paul

Well, since this is in the Hybrid section:
Don't throw out anything until the car is done. You never know what little piece you are going to need, until you actually need it.

No, it's not hard to do, it just a lot to do.

A)Don't totally trust the wiring diagrams in your book!
B)if you don't have metal working tools, forget it.
C)Just because you use X make(s) of vehicle for the recipient/donor car(s), don't restrict yourself to those makes. Even a lowly Honda may have some trinket you need.
D)GM parts interchange is damn near a godsend, take advantage of it.

trash HOT ROD ..PHR or CC and start reading Street Rodder or Rod and Custom...mags like that can give you some great ideas.

I agree about setting down the tools and walking away if you get tired, frustrated or mad.

If you have start drinking though, just stop for the day, we have all seen the results of projects where someone was obviously drunk when they were working on a project;)

I would like to add if you are feeling burnt out do something motivational. I would watch videos of people building Hot Rods and such or go to a car show. It would motivate me as well as give me more insight if I was stuck on something.

Oh and I like the street rod mags idea. The others do seem to get stuck more in the same way of doing things, street rods do to but it's a different approach.

1. Try to involve some other people that have knowledge in areas that you don't.

2. Never, ever, ever, listen to anyone that tells you it can't be done or that your idea is "stupid."

3. It's your car - the only person it has to please is you.

4. Don't be surprised if your plans change part way through the project. You will discover and learn things as you work at it. If you are open to changes, the project may turn out better that you thought it would.

5. Don't let a problem get to you. Building a hybrid is basically just an exercise in problem solving. Relax - with a clear state of mind and the right approach any problem can be solved.

And remember there is no such thing as a cheap or low cost Turbo Buick hybrid unless you already have the parts or you stole them. I learned my lesson by starting with an incomplete set up. They will quickly nickle and dime you :D

Originally posted by GNVAIR
And remember there is no such thing as a cheap or low cost Turbo Buick hybrid unless you already have the parts or you stole them. I learned my lesson by starting with an incomplete set up. They will quickly nickle and dime you :D

Ain't that the truth! I think it is probably cheaper to buy a complete, running enmgine than it is to try and get pieces. When I started my project, the first thing i bought was a complete engine set up from the Riv, with engine harness & everything. Turned out I didn't need it all, but you never know until you are done.

Originally posted by FWD turbo
Ain't that the truth! I think it is probably cheaper to buy a complete, running enmgine than it is to try and get pieces. When I started my project, the first thing i bought was a complete engine set up from the Riv, with engine harness & everything. Turned out I didn't need it all, but you never know until you are done.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I've got not much of a T-rivi motor, woefully less complete then I thought it was. Oh well, it's working well enough to fit parts to. Minor setback in the grand scheme of things.