Time to go Stage II!

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
Friday night I took the car up to the track for a Discovery Channel filming. The car made it through the run with the usual fishtailing. On the return road, it was obvious that the engine was missing. Checked the plugs and all looked normal. Recently, normal means #5 on the verge of fouling. A few cylinders have been low for quite some time now. I guess I was just pushing things to the limit. I couldn't come to that decision to put the motor down. Well, the motor has finally told me, "Enough is enough. It's time to retire me."
It's time to pull the engine and go through it. It's also time to throw a set of those Stage II heads on the car, too!!!

Whoa!?!!?? Where the heck did this come from!?!!?!?!!?? I was not expecting to see this, but, am VERY excited for you. Look out 7's, here Donnie comes!

I feel sick at my stomach thinking of all the rework and re-fab you will be doing though.... Headers, intake, oh my... ;)

Whoa!?!!?? Where the heck did this come from!?!!?!?!!?? I was not expecting to see this, but, am VERY excited for you. Look out 7's, here Donnie comes!

I feel sick at my stomach thinking of all the rework and re-fab you will be doing though.... Headers, intake, oh my... ;)
Actually, I'm looking forward to it. The creativity juices are already starting to flow.

Are you crazy, your going to lose all bottom end power and won;t go any faster at the rpm you turn.:confused:

I have a pefect cam for you, since its a bit too aggressive for me, 700 lift , Ill let it go cheap and its set up for gear drive already. You already have the cam card.

I have a pefect cam for you, since its a bit too aggressive for me, 700 lift , Ill let it go cheap and its set up for gear drive already. You already have the cam card.
Thanks for the offer, Norbs. The cam I will be using will be one ground using my own specs.

Just remember, according to your calcs cam does not matter that much, its all about head flow and turbo size!

Just remember, according to your calcs cam does not matter that much, its all about head flow and turbo size!
Well, I'm not so sure about that. If head flow really mattered that much, then why am I doing 8.70s with heads that flow 210 on the flow bench?
I use sims as a rough guide. I've already proven that you can't rely on sim results to be all that accurate. I hope I can prove that again with the Stage II project. :cool:

Here are the original flow numbers I received for my set of M&A heads.
Date flowed: 1/17/96

Intake @ 25"
Valve size: 1.835
Lift
.100 55.2
.200 113.4
.300 157.2
.400 187.4
.500 202.7
.600 209.5

Exhaust @ 25"
Valve size: 1.500
.100 47.2
.200 85
.300 124.8
.400 149.3
.500 162.2
.600 166.4

Ex/Int %: 79.4

Throw that in the sim, Norbs. You're going to find that it is impossible to get a peak of 1130 bhp with those flow numbers. Let me know what peak bhp you do end up with.

Norbs. Everything matters. Everything has to work together towards the common goal.

Good to hear your switchin to the Stage Heads Don. Look forward to seeing the transformation.

I have 2 sets of heads to choose from. One set is used and has been ported by Chapman. The other set is new and is the square port Indy style. I had both sets flowed in 2006 and the Indy square port set flowed the best. 312 vs 304 cfm @ 28" at .600" lift.
For some reason, the person who flowed the heads could not get a flow number @ .700" lift with the Indy heads. Maybe the head broke the flow bench? I'll have to ask him what the deal was. The Chapman set flowed 308.7 @.700" lift.
They're set up for 2.08" int, 1.625" exh valve sizes.
I plan to use a lift at the valve of .714". Duration @ .050" will be crazy. Lobe separation will be crazy.
The exhaust headers will have crazy specs and will follow the basic design of my Stage I headers.
I'm still brain storming on the intake design. The specs have been figured out, just the construction is up in the air. How to deal with all the fueling requirement. I'm sticking with the methanol. I love the fuel.
I'll use my 100mm throttle body that I'm presently using on the Stage I.

Edited: 3/31/2012. Corrections made.

I think this first Stage II build will use the 3.06" stroke I'm presently using in the Stage I. I do have a BMS stroker crank, but I'm curious what the 3.06" would do. What a screamer!

Plus, I like the stronger even fire crank pin arrangement of the shorter stroke.

Donnie, I am going to play with those head numbers, but I don;t think they are accurate, my stock ported 8445 heads s flow more then those M@A numbers you posted?

Donnie, I am going to play with those head numbers, but I don;t think they are accurate, my stock ported 8445 heads s flow more then those M@A numbers you posted?
The head porter is, and at the time, was very experienced. Not so much on Buick heads, but on more commonly used high performance heads, such as Chevy heads. I'm sure, at the time, he knew how to operate a flow bench. Considering that he was inexperienced at porting M&A heads, I have to believe the numbers. I find it completely believable that a person with a lot of experience with Buick heads would be able to come up with better flow numbers.
If you're not sure about those numbers, feel free to use whatever numbers you want that are reasonable numbers for a ported production or Stage I head.