Time to upgrade the TE-60??

Texas gn

I have managed to save a little play money for the Buick since I have not been driving it….(no more speeding tickets..LOL). I have a great running car that has a TE-60 turbo which is propelling me into the mid/upper 11s with my lacking ability to tune like the rest of you guys. However I have continued to read stories about upgrading to the 6262 BB turbo with great success. Is this truly worth trouble/cost of pulling my TE-60 with 2K miles and upgrading to a ball bearing turbo like the 6262? Please see my sig below for car info. BTW my current goal is low 11s around 23 psi ... Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited:
Unless you're running close to 30psi with what you have, you probably won't notice a difference. You got a few goodies that'll make your engine breath well, but I still think 25psi plus with what you have before you'll pick up anything.

Thanks, I am still a little concerned after popping a head gasket a couple of years ago but that was with factory head bolts and no PL. I guess it is time to get serious and get back to tuning for 27-28 psi.

low 11's should just be some boost and maybe a better hook away with the 60.not sure why your hung up on the boost number,but for low 11's on low boost car better hook real good and you would need a bigger turbo.plus you run the risk of upsetting the combo,much easier to turn up what you have.

I was at 11.50s with my te 60. Stock un opened block. 30 psi got it done.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

As others have states, get that fella up close to 30psi and see how it feels. Remember, your turbine is what will hold you back; exhaust pressure. You won't be out of compressor yet so the air won't be super heated. You'll need good octane through race gas, alky, or E85, but the compressor has a lot of air to deliver for you yet.

what does the car do in the 60'? Seems like it should have power to go 10s to me. Probably pretty heavy in comparison to my combination, but can't be that far off.

I guess maybe IC could be part of it, but you have Alcohol, so that shouldn't be that much of a limiting factor.

keep in mind you don't NEED a ball bearing turbo. Spend the extra $$$ on a converter that makes the journal bearing work if you have problems with the current one.

I guess maybe IC could be part of it, but you have Alcohol, so that shouldn't be that much of a limiting factor.

keep in mind you don't NEED a ball bearing turbo. Spend the extra $$$ on a converter that makes the journal bearing work if you have problems with the current one.
Thanks...They closed our track last year so playing with the car has been limited. Gonna start getting hot around here as well.