To double wrap or not.

Good question , I only wrapped mine once but bought some thick stuff so i'm no help LOL just cluttering up your thread

I feel if I can keep as much heat away from the AC box it'll work less to cool. Of course works very well as is.

I'm not a fan of the wrap because I've heard story's especially with are leak prone Buicks of the head wrap soaking oil up and with it wrapped around a super hot headset pipe or down pipe catching fire . That would be the only thing I would be worried about .

The
I'm not a fan of the wrap because I've heard story's especially with are leak prone Buicks of the head wrap soaking oil up and with it wrapped around a super hot headset pipe or down pipe catching fire . That would be the only thing I would be worried about .
DP is far away from my heads not to pick up any oil.

The

DP is far away from my heads not to pick up any oil.

And unless the leak is enormous, the wrap shouldn't soak. The oil should vaporize before it gets soaked enough to be a fire risk.

Or just don't wrap spots where you know it'll get oil on it.

I have Champion heads which have the boss milled flat and I had my GN1 VC's milled flat as well and I'm using Felpro PermaDryPlus gaskets. Zero oil leakage.(y) The way GM should've done back then.

I can't see any downside to wrapping it twice so long as it fits into the spot you are putting it without clearance issues.

I overlapped the header wrap on my previous DP half the width of the wrap (not the 1/4" as they suggested) so it was two layers thick and had a relatively smooth surface.
I did the same to the ATR headers and crossover as well and it worked great for keeping the under temps down. You could cruise around all night and the engine felt like it had been idling for 5 min., however years later I found several cracks in the headers due to the higher temps seen under the wrap.

The DP did not suffer the same fate so I say go for it.

Thanks for that advice.
I overlapped the header wrap on my previous DP half the width of the wrap (not the 1/4" as they suggested) so it was two layers thick and had a relatively smooth surface.
I did the same to the ATR headers and crossover as well and it worked great for keeping the under temps down. You could cruise around all night and the engine felt like it had been idling for 5 min., however years later I found several cracks in the headers due to the higher temps seen under the wrap.

The DP did not suffer the same fate so I say go for it.
Thanks for the advice. I have no plans to wrap the headers.

Thanks for that advice.

Thanks for the advice. I have no plans to wrap the headers.

Five years ago while talking to Red Armstrong, I was searching for a new internal gate down pipe to fit the ATR headers (after he stopped making DP's) and the topic of wrapping headers came up. Red mentioned after building new headers back in the day and wrapping them they cracked after a few runs.
At first they thought it was due to new headers needing heat cycled, but after removing the wrap and fixing cracks and rewrapping several times they decided it was due to the higher expansion rate the headers were seeing because of the wrap. He said they didn't have the cracking problems when the wrap was left off.

At the time I thought the DP I made was leaking and he was full of hoowie. After seeing how the TA DP fit I decided to go back to stock headers with the TA DP. Upon removal of the headers I found more than than just a few cracks. I guess I got schooled!!