You can type here any text you want

Toluene Xylene Misc Info..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bruce

Rest In Peace
While Googling today, I ran across this.
Interesting to note, that some of the home brew receipes are just using what's already in the gas.
Bruce

MSDS follows,

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET

PRODUCT NAME: MAPLLC PREMIUM UNLEADED GASOLINE
MARATHON MSDS NO: 0126MAR019

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY INFORMATION

PRODUCT NAME: MANUFACTURER / DISTRIBUTOR:
MAPLLC PREMIUM UNLEADED GASOLINE MARATHON ASHLAND PETROLEUM LLC
539 SOUTH MAIN STREET
SYNONYMS: FINDLAY OH 45840
CONVENTIONAL PREMIUM UNLEADED GASOLINE,
MAPLLC; MAPLLC PREMIUM UNLEADED GASOLINE; EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS:
PREMIUM UNLEADED GASOLINE, MAPLLC; SUPER (877)627-5463
UNLEADED GASOLINE, MAPLLC; SUPER-M LEAD (800)424-9300
FREE GASOLINE, MAPLLC

CHEM FAMILY: PETROLEUM HYDROCARBON MSDS INFORMATION: (419)421-3070
CHEM FORMULA: MIXTURE
PRODUCT CODE: NONE MSDS REVISION DATE: 07/28/1998

INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY: CRAIG M. PARKER
MANAGER, TOXICOLOGY AND PRODUCT SAFETY

Return to Gasoline Chemical Safety Data List
Return to full Chemical Safety Data List

2. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
PRODUCT INFORMATION:
MAPLLC PREMIUM UNLEADED GASOLINE (CAS # 86290-81-5) IS A/AN
COMPLEX MIXTURE OF PARAFFINS, CYCLOPARAFFINS, OLEFINS AND AROMATIC
HYDROCARBONS HAVING HYDROCARBON CHAIN LENGTHS PREDOMINANTLY IN THE
RANGE OF C4 THROUGH C12. COMPONENTS MAY BE PRESENT FROM TRACE AMOUNTS
UP TO THE RANGES SHOWN.
CONTAINS SMALL AMOUNTS OF DYE AND OTHER ADDITIVES (<0.02%) WHICH ARE
NOT CONSIDERED HAZARDOUS AT THE CONCENTRATIONS USED.
PERCENT RANGE CAS NUMBER
------------- ---------------

COMPONENTS:
SATURATED HYDROCARBONS 55.00- 80.00 MIXTURE
(PARAFFINS AND CYCLOPARAFFINS)

AROMATIC HYDROCARBONS 20.00- 40.00 MIXTURE
(INCLUDING BENZENE, TOLUENE, XYLENES,
ETHYLBENZENE AND TRIMETHYL BENZENES)

XYLENE 5.00- 15.00 1330-20-7

TOLUENE 3.00- 15.00 108-88-3

1,2,4-TRIMETHYLBENZENE 2.00- 5.00 95-63-6

UNSATURATED HYDROCARBONS 1.00- 15.00 MIXTURE
(OLEFINS)

ETHYL BENZENE 1.00- 3.00 100-41-4

BENZENE 0.50- 3.50 71-43-2

EXPOSURE GUIDELINES
LIMIT TYPE SOURCE
------------------- --------- ----------

PRODUCT:
MAPLLC PREMIUM UNLEADED GASOLINE 300.00 PPM 8 HR TWA ACGIH
500.00 PPM STEL ACGIH
300.00 PPM 8 HR TWA OSHA
500.00 PPM STEL OSHA

COMPONENTS:
SATURATED HYDROCARBONS NONE ESTABLISHED
AROMATIC HYDROCARBONS NONE ESTABLISHED
XYLENE 100.00 PPM 8 HR TWA ACGIH
150.00 PPM STEL ACGIH
100.00 PPM 8 HR TWA OSHA*
150.00 PPM STEL OSHA*
* THE MANUFACTURER HAS VOLUNTARILY ELECTED
TO REFLECT EXPOSURE LIMITS CONTAINED IN
OSHA'S 1989 AIR CONTAMINANTS STANDARD IN ITS
MSDS'S, EVEN THOUGH CERTAIN OF THOSE EXPOSURE
LIMITS WERE VACATED IN 1992.

TOLUENE 50.00 PPM 8 HR TWA ACGIH
100.00 PPM 8 HR TWA OSHA*
150.00 PPM STEL OSHA*

1,2,4-TRIMETHYLBENZENE 25.00 PPM 8 HR TWA ACGIH
25.00 PPM 8 HR TWA OSHA*

UNSATURATED HYDROCARBONS NONE ESTABLISHED

ETHYL BENZENE NONE ESTABLISHED

BENZENE .50 PPM 8 HR TWA ACGIH
2.50 PPM STEL ACGIH
1.00 PPM 8 HR TWA OSHA
5.00 PPM STEL OSHA
OSHA ACTION LEVEL 0.50 PPM (8 HR TWA)

I've been trying to tell people that for years now. I've analyzed thousand of fuel samples and aromatic compounds (benzene, toluene, xylene, etc.) make up a huge percentage of gasoline's composition. Premium, higher octane gasolines will have more aromatics (therefore xylene) than regular.

Adding xylene to gasoline is like adding caffeine to cola. It's already in there, you’re just adding more.

Here's a gas chromatograph of gasoline. The instrument seperates gasoline into it's individual components. Notice the largest peaks are aromatic (anything labeled with a number). Toluene is #7 and Xylene is #11, 12 and 13 (xylene is actually three isomers).

Same goes for adding alcohol to gasoline to help pass emissions testing. Many gasolines already have 10% alcohol for cleaner burning. Adding some more will help.

I tried AV Low Lead 100 and did not really like it that much. Would like to try something new to see what works. I would also like to keep the $ down. Looking to run this all year round. How much does xylene cost? Where do I get it? How do I mix it with gas, what kind of % mix? Last, how much octane will it get me, above 100? Sorry if this is in what Bruce said, having a hard time reading it. I'm not that much into Chems.

Thanks,
Jason

Clay,
Thanks for all the info. It helped alot, but it also got me thinking of other questions. Can you run xylene and AV Low Lead 100 fuel? In the link there is an example of using xylene with 94 octane gas, 30% xylene, 70% 94 octane, gives you a 100 octane mix. But if you use a 30% xylene, 70% AV Low Lead 100, gives you 105 octane mix. Onther question that I have is, is all xylene the same? I am always worried about putting things into my tank that I do not fully understand and xylene is one of those things. If I go to a paint store and ask for xylene, am I going to get the right one?

Thanks for the help,
Jason

Thanks b4black,
I took a look at some of the hits. I still can't find the answers to my questions. To add one more, where can I get Mystery oil.

Thanks,
Jason

Marvel Mystery Oil can be found most anywhere, Walmart, K-mart, etc. I have used this stuff for years in all types of engines. it also good for breaking egines in. It has been shown to polish wear surfaces in an engine.

Shouldn't be a problem finiding it.:)

Originally posted by V8KILLR
Mystery oil.

Anyone care to investigate what adding MMO to your special brew really does?.

If your brewing stuff for a race car, and have money on the line that's one thing, but if your talking about a street car what good does it do tuning for having to run a special brew?. For the time and effort of concocting a special brew, you probably could be genrating a CORRECT calibration for your car to just optimise the car for the fuel available. Well, that's just my take on things.

Gasoline is made up of light to heavy end components. The heavy ends tend to be more viscous or "oil like". The tought is they help lubricate the pump, injectors, etc. (In the chromatogram above, components get "heavier" towards the right")

When adding xylene, you are increasing the light end and decreasing the heavy end. Adding MMO replaces the heavy end. It probaly hurts the octane rating, so getting the right amount is important. Some low-grade xylenes may already have "heavy" impurities. Doug Conner has done some actual testing and runs xylene often. I would follow his advice.

Avaition gas is gasoline, so you could add xylene. It might be loaded with it already and not give as much benefit. Paint store xylene better quality/purity. Sometimes they call it Xylol or mixed xylenes - same stuff.

Personally, I agree with Bruce, the effort could be better spent elsewhere. It's a fair amount of work, not cheap and it would be tough to be consistent. I just use it to from time to time to help diagnosis knock/false knock. (Throw in a gallon and see if the knock gets better or not.)

Hey bruce,
I think I read once that you burn your own chips. If this is right, how do I get started doing this? Is getting the FAST system the better way to go?

Thanks,
Jason

Back