Torque Converter broken

jimski

In over my head
Some how some way the torque converter nose broke off .

Trans was rattling real bad in the front pump area for about a year finally pulled slipping trans to find converter broke where it slides into pump.?

Just put fresh trans in and new converter and I can hear a rattle noise again when rpms go high and shift.

What happened?

What is the spacing between the torque convertor and Flexplate? Needs to be between 1/8in and 3/16in of clearance when TQ is sitting all he way toward the front pump

What is the spacing between the torque convertor and Flexplate? Needs to be between 1/8in and 3/16in of clearance when TQ is sitting all he way toward the front pump

Thanks for this advice I had a suspicion that the converter was too far out of pump, nothing changed from the last time and the time before that so never thought nothing of it.

Back under the Car on the ground.

Here it is. D5 de commissioned

Attachments

• IMG_3607.JPG
    IMG_3607.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 213
From the looks of the neck, the converter was not correctly positioned to begin with.
Had the trans been out, before this happened.?
If there's still noise, look for a cracked flex plate.

Also if the engine is an old timer in miles, it could have a worn thrust bearing. That would cause the crank to easliy move forward and back allowing excess space in the area.

So when you installed the converter did it feel like it popped in 3 times on the shaft while turning it counter clockwise and at the same time keep it straight with the shaft.?

So when you installed the converter did it feel like it popped in 3 times on the shaft while turning it counter clockwise and at the same time keep it straight with the shaft.?
Yes it went in perfectly