TR INSURANCE QUESTIONS

wbzautocustomiz

Want my GN to go 11's one day
Looking for advice on good insurance for 1987 TR my current insurance company will only offer liability I live in a home and no garage but I have a driveway and carport. I have read that most companies wont insure cars without locked garage any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Check with Grundy.

Ask about "Agreed Value" coverage.

PS. Also ask about mileage limitations.

Last edited:
I use Hagerty and they never asked anything about where the car is kept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Allstate. They don’t care were it’s parked.
I only got the liability. but they will sell me full coverage.
Didn’t work out for me because it’s just a Buick Regal to them. Their system doesn’t have options for Buick Grand National.

My car is in the project stage which is mostly why I only got liability.

There is insurance company’s out there that will let you set your value of the car and then you pay according to that.
(I didn’t ask if Allstate would do this)

A couple years ago when i was looking at “classic car” insurance from companies like hagerty, heacock etc they wanted it in a 4 sided garage. I was in an apartment at the time and only had a carport. So i went with my daily drivers insurance, i think state farm. Since the car was over 20 yrs old they would only do liability. They’d only insure it for book value which was like $3,500. (Was a 70 GS 350 car). I had to get it appraised to get them to increase coverage on it. I dont remember exactly what state farm was but i know with heacock now it is a lot cheaper.

I have mine insured through the same insurance as my daily drivers and my house, Country Financial. It is 30 years old so it is insured as an antique with a declared value of $16K. My agent said if I wanted it insured for more than it would need an appraisal to have on file. It costs me $10 a month for full coverage. I only had to provide pictures to my agent showing some exterior shots, some under hood shots, and some interior shots. I think all that they are looking for is that the car is mostly stock and not some gutted track car.

My daily’s are insured through Allstate and they are the ones that got my insurance from Hagerty. It’s currently insured for $20,000 full coverage and I’m getting ready to bump it to $30,000.

They never asked where it was kept and maybe that’s because Allstate pulled the policy but all they required were pictures and upgraded parts.

I use Grundy. As part of the application process, they have you state that the vehicle will be kept in a fully enclosed garage when not in use.

I use American Collectors insured for 30K agreed value. 2500 miles per year (I never get close to that) It is garage kept but they never asked. They did take quite a few pics of the car but that was probably 15-20 years ago.

If your using regular Insurance companies for your TR good luck with that.

I have mine insured as a collector auto thru American Collectors Insurance. They requested pictures of my car from 4 different angles but never asked about how it was stored. There is a 5000 mile per year limit & you can't go to the daily grocery, mall, etc shopping with it. I have mine insured for an agreed valve of $26,520. They increase it about $500 per year & my most recent bill for 2018 is $192.99. They're out of Cherry Hill, NJ. You should check them out thou I have never put in a claim with them.

Mine is with Hagerty, it’s cost me $500+ a year for 35k as an agree value. Don’t think it’s worth that. However I have a extra 10k in there if it does get stolen, that will help take care of the pissed off factor.

Mine is with Hagerty, it’s cost me $500+ a year for 35k as an agree value. Don’t think it’s worth that. However I have a extra 10k in there if it does get stolen, that will help take care of the pissed off factor.
I really do not like hagerty as they have a lot of restrictions in the fine print and they are expensive!

I really do not like hagerty as they have a lot of restrictions in the fine print and they are expensive!
Yes I do agree with you. But I just turn up 14k miles. Don’t drive it much. To many other toys. But my heart is with this car

Yes I do agree with you. But I just turn up 14k miles. Don’t drive it much. To many other toys. But my heart is with this car
Yeah, then they are good :)
I was looking for an insurance that also included coverage for racing too

No one will cover racing that I know of?
When your on that track your on your own.

Most collector car policies require it be in a locked garage. Before I moved into my new house I was renting a 10x20 storage unit for the car and parts which was acceptable for my insurance. Now the car is in a garage.

Fyi just bc they don't ask doesn't mean it' not in the contract. Read it make sure bc you can be paying money for nothing.