TR6 ignition impressions?

turbows6

I know there have been a few people chime in, but I'd love to hear some driving impressions from people that have used the TR6 ignition module (with waste spark or individual coil) on a street car.

Did you notice improved drivability/economy/ power?

Did you notice improved drivability/economy/ power?
Clean running, better gas mileage and crisper throttle and now do not worry about the stock module or coil pack crapping out and causing numerous running problems . I am running waste spark and love the rev limiter also and if you get froggy hook up the 2 step for some red light fun with some ricers :D

I installed mine and it seemed fine.Once it warmed up it wouldnt start anymore.I talked to bob,quick response,and i told him the code it was giving, and he told me it was my cam sensor was not sinking with the crank sensor.That was it.it needed to be adjusted a bit.the tr6 has a mode you can set to see how close the sensor is.once i set it ,no problems again.
Thats a big help ,having it tell you what the probs are .Instead of doing the no start tree,for 2 weeks Replacing with 3 brand new ign modules among every other ignition part ,to find out its the ign modules the whole time.Takes alot of the guess work out of the whole ignition.

As said above... Works GREAT!! Beyond the fact that it works great, it has built in diagnostics. Thats worth the price of admission right there! Something goes wrong, the tach will give you a code. If it won't start, the led's in the box will give you a code. Pinpoint accuracy as long as you have power.

PS Using it in wastespark mode.

Wider plug gaps are possible even with high boost levels. This makes lean cruise work better and overall driveability is improved.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Installed mine yesterday and took it for a drive. Tires break free from a 20 mph roll and no more sputter/miss. Bought a set of blue wires direct from Magnecor.

I run .35 with the stock ignition but I'm wondering how much bigger gap I can run when I get my TR6 with waste spark coils.

Very happy with mine. I like the rev limiter.

But beware... it is NOT very water resistant. My car had to go into the body shop when a lovely young lady messed up my bumper. They washed the car and the TR6 took on a little water. I thought that might happen so I checked for it and found a little H2O inside. Remedied that situation before it caused a problem.

Do you run the TR6? I didnt know thT if you do.

popped one in November for the last race of the year. 139 mph no issues and thats with wastespark , a $15 used coil pack off ebay , junk delco 42s at .024 and bobs 8.5 magnecore wires. i was going to do the LS coils and picked up some parts but the wastespark was easier for now since im most likely going to move it to the 87 TTop
mounted the box where the cruise servo was and mounted the coil to the stock plate behind plenum

I think I need this. The teak question is waste spark or modules? The individual coils look ugly on the site. Not sure if they can be hidden?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Mine is coming in May. What's the widest plug gap you can use with 17 pounds of boost?

I run waste spark with .040 gap at 25+psi of boost. No issues with spark blowout. NGK UR5's. With a larger turbo and better heads, I'll tighten it to .035 as long as the lean cruise still works well at that gap, and will switch to NGK YR5's at that time. I should use YR5's now, but why mess with a proven combo?

Yeah I was running a little over .035 and probably closer to .040 with no issues at 26lbs... Haven't taken the new build over 15lbs yet...

Best money ever spent. I along with my buddies could hear the difference in the clean crisp idle.
Engine talks a little more now

Very happy with mine. I like the rev limiter.

But beware... it is NOT very water resistant. My car had to go into the body shop when a lovely young lady messed up my bumper. They washed the car and the TR6 took on a little water. I thought that might happen so I checked for it and found a little H2O inside. Remedied that situation before it caused a problem.

the TR6 should be darn near submersible. Contact me over email and we can look into why yours got water inside it.

I have driven my car thru multiple MONSOON storms with absolutely no issues.

Now, hitting it directly with a powerwasher might be a bit much if you don't have all 6 screws tight....

Bob

P.S. thanks for all the kind words guys!