TR6 with LS coils

larrym

West Coast Newfy
I keep melting LS coils, any idea why they over heat and split.
This is a Vega hybrid never had an issue with this set up in my Ttype worked flawlessly.

yes sir same motor computer coils alternator only difference is the wiring, I have a separate fuse panel for the engine that powers the engine and the fuel system I have the pink and black wire from the ignition module powered by this fuse panel. I have a ground right from the trunk mounted battery run to the block and then to the fire wall and fender the Vega system is for lights and wipers.
I'm wondering if its the heat 2 of the coils I have lost were on the turbo side of the car and things get hot there. I have a glass hood with a stinger scoop coming to try and keep it cooler.

I asked because I tuned on a car 2 years ago and the car started missing at idle and it was because the coil pack was being over dwelled and getting too hot. We had to flash in a different version of the software too fix it. Thinking maybe you picked up a different TR6 and it may have had the ver we did. But,, sounds like thats not the case

I wonder this is a pretty old TR6 one of the first runs 2013 , I don't remeber re flashed it is there an easy to tell which software version I have?

Depending on the coil, there are limits on the max dwell.
If they are truck coils, w/ the heat sink, I set mine, in the Dominator tune, to less than 4.5ms. less at lower speeds.
There is a ton of info on the issues, over on the bullet, and on the Holley forum.

Yes. it sounds like dwell overload.

Strange though, if nothing has changed.

Maybe there getting more voltage now with your current wiring set-up and so the dwell can be reduced?

Yes. it sounds like dwell overload.

Strange though, if nothing has changed.

Maybe there getting more voltage now with your current wiring set-up and so the dwell can be reduced?

Funny you should say that my power logger displays more voltage than it did in the Ttype I have the six fuse panel hot wired off the alternator with a relay. It’s a 120amp powermaster shows 14.5 volts some times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A
Funny you should say that my power logger displays more voltage than it did in the Ttype I have the six fuse panel hot wired off the alternator with a relay. It’s a 120amp powermaster shows 14.5 volts some times

I ran relayed hot wires from the alternator directly to my coil-pack connector just before going to a TR-6 this past Winter. I informed Bob that this was the case when I ordered up my TR-6 to be used with the Holley coils.........I hope he remembered.

But anyway. This is also when I finally unplugged my Casper's Volt Booster. The device is still in place. But I extended it's harness to hide it and it was installed many years ago. Doesn't bother me much to leave it there.

I'm sure you don't have one of these......Do you?

No volt booster just a stupid big alternator

Yea, I got one of those big Powermaster or Powerbastard things. Some 160 amp shit.I don't even remember what it is. Still, it never did anything for my voltage issues. Not until I started hot-wiring stuff.

Now I get 14+ to everything important. XFI, fuel pump, ignition, etc.

But the stupid Auto-meter gauge still reads 12.3 because it's tied into some interior lighting wire or something from 23 years ago.

Bob will be able to email u a new dwell for it just shoot him a email really good guy to deal with

Yea, I got one of those big Powermaster or Powerbastard things. Some 160 amp shit.I don't even remember what it is. Still, it never did anything for my voltage issues. Not until I started hot-wiring stuff.

Now I get 14+ to everything important. XFI, fuel pump, ignition, etc.

But the stupid Auto-meter gauge still reads 12.3 because it's tied into some interior lighting wire or something from 23 years ago.

I just checked a log even on a pass the lowest I saw was 13.4 and 14.2 as the top

Bigger, or smaller, the alt is only going to provide the regulators settings..
Yes. Today I know that. But it was easy to think that a simple altinator swap years ago would solve all my problems. Today all is good.

Sometimes it seems if solving a problem was no problem, then there's probably still a problem.

Bob sent me the update just Reflashed the TR6 if this thread dies all is good thanks for your help gentleman!!!!

well it appears I cooked another coil, was at the track for the weekend worked great Saturday but shit the bed in eliminations....
Same issue I had with the very first coil pack will not rev past 4000-4500 rpm and starts dropping a hole and falling flat.
On a happy note I ran a 6.95 at 98 mph little car hooks good on a 26 x 8.5 slick

Attachments

• wheel up.jpg
    wheel up.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 75
I would email bob and update the tr6 u most likely have some weird dwell time programed into the unit . That’s the only reason I can think of of why u would burn through coil packs that fast nvm just read your previous post

Bob is doing to set me up again we will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro