Track prep

gnxtc2

Well-Known Member
Staff member
#1
Just a thought....since most of the heads up cars run radials, anyway of getting the track prepped for radials during quals and eliminations.

I don't know what arrangements the GSCA has with Beech Bend for track prep. But if all the heads racers say chip in $10-$25, we'll have a guaranteed track. Who knows, maybe Pooch could sponsor some VHT.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
 

Sydwyndr

Admin
Staff member
#2
I will help the track with this prep if you can get this done AND the track is willing to put in the extra effort...
 
#3
I haven’t been to the GS national in 15 years, until last year. I have however been, raced, prepped a lot of radial races. I brought my street car on 18” drag radials. I was shocked at the track prep, it was a radial prepped track.
 

johnplogii

Senior citizen
#4
I would definitely pitch in for better track prep. I will say that the track usually starts out pretty good but usually goes away later on every day. I don't think it's even close to a radial prepped track for say a big x275 event.
 
#7
Scrape the track every night after eliminations to remove excess rubber so the extra glue will not get “gooey”. Clean and spray the track between each round usually right before each of the faster radial cars. Run the class order in such a way that the bigger slick tire cars run before the radial cars to enable spraying the track after they run. Keep the track clean!!! Anything bad will get semi encapsulated by the glue and all the extra dragging will smear it everywhere. Keep ahead of the bald spots on the starting line and try to repair them while the big tire slick cars are running....
 
#8
I'm no where near a TSO car either but have been 1.21 60ft and could leave a lot harder on a track that could take it.
I didn’t run Saturday, but Friday in the heat of the day the track was tight. It’s hard to do much better with 120* track temp IMO. If they would have sprayed it after the sun was off of the track it would have been excellent, I believe. You put too much glue on 120* and it’s only going to get worse
 

johnplogii

Senior citizen
#9
I didn’t run Saturday, but Friday in the heat of the day the track was tight. It’s hard to do much better with 120* track temp IMO. If they would have sprayed it after the sun was off of the track it would have been excellent, I believe. You put too much glue on 120* and it’s only going to get worse
Track temp absolutely affects traction, glad they got the October dates back.
 

sackracing

Well-Known Member
#11
The VHT that BG uses is for slick tire cars. When they have radial tire races, a third party such as Tyler Crossnoe or Kurt Johnson comes and scrapes and preps with VP radial compound. You're just not gonna get that kind of prep at our event without them bringing in a crew like that.
 
#12
The VHT that BG uses is for slick tire cars. When they have radial tire races, a third party such as Tyler Crossnoe or Kurt Johnson comes and scrapes and preps with VP radial compound. You're just not gonna get that kind of prep at our event without them bringing in a crew like that.
Actually you can. It’s a matter of manual labor. Tyler does a great job and has a great system but you can have 75%+ of what he does with planning and effort. The other 25% is his experience. Pooch @ VP does an excellent job as well and is usually down for s good G-body race. There are cold weather and hot weather compounds but we have never used a different glue for slicks versus radials. The timing and amount is different, but not the glue itself. I’ll agree VP is better but you can have an excellent radial track on VHT
 

gnxtc2

Well-Known Member
Staff member
#13
It seems nowadays most cars run radialradial compared to slicks.

Maybe we can reach out to Kurt or Tyler and ask what they charge. Or have BG spray radial prep instead of the slick stuff. I'm pretty sure most will chip in for the cost of the radial prep stuff.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
 
#14
It seems nowadays most cars run radialradial compared to slicks.

Maybe we can reach out to Kurt or Tyler and ask what they charge. Or have BG spray radial prep instead of the slick stuff. I'm pretty sure most will chip in for the cost of the radial prep stuff.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
You need approximately 55 gal VP a day to have the track on kill. It’s $595 per drum. You’ll need about 2 drums of M1 to cut it