Trans. crossmember mounts

WillRideAgain

I am having my crossmember sandblasted and refinished. Rubber mounts on the sides are in bad shape. Will be getting HR trans. mount, would like poly for the crossmember. Any info on some would be helpful please. Thanks

Check with Paul at hrpartsnstuff.

I beleive he was working on something for this exact thing.

HR trans mount

I just yesterday replaced my old cracking mushy rubber mount with the HR polyurethane unit.

I had a previous problem with the old one where the 2 bolts that hold the mount to the trans came loose, backed out, then ripped out taking about a half inch of aluminum threads with them. Back then, my repair was to chase the threads, install longer bolts with nuts and washers on the top side.

The HR piece came with fine thread bolts. Since I had lost the original bolts, I chased with a standard thread tap. A trip to the hardware store for some longer 3/8 bolts to accomadate the thick offset spacer, new nuts and washers on top and it's rock solid now. Getting the nut to tighten on top is tricky but can be done by flipping your wrench upside down. Swivel sockets were also required.

In my case, the rubber part of the exhaust hanger was broken. I coulda shoulda bought the whole thing with the new exhaust hanger. Instead, I drilled, ground, hammered out the rivets holding the broken rubber parts, then used a universal strap held in place with bolts washers and lock nuts.

As you may already know, the stock exhaust hanger needs to be ground down to make room for the thick offset spacer. If you don't use the stock exhaust hanger, a spacer plate is provided.

All together, it was about 3 hours excluding the trip to the hardware store.

HR is making new crossmember mounts too. Very nice, I have them and am pleased.