TSA rules discussion

Thumper

The time, is upon us for discussions of updating, clarifying and changes. If any PARTICIPANT has a suggestion or proposes a change, it is time to shed light on them. Please keep in mind at the time the newest tsa rules were wrote we were going to use the tss name, so the rules are loosened up a bit in hopes of participation. All 4 cars that showed up came in very close to the older rules.

Thanks
Bill Thompson
TSA RRA

GSCA Headers 001.JPG GSCA Headers 002.JPG GSCA Headers 003.JPG GSCA Headers 004.JPG GSCA Headers 005.JPG
My suggestion for a proposed change is to allow for any commercially available stock style replacement exhaust headers and crossover pipe.
Examples are Kirban, Performance Parts, G Body Parts or GSCA stock style replacement headers.
I would hope this change would alleviate the problem of finding usable 27 year old stock exhaust headers.
I have attached photos comparing the GSCA Club Headers to the stock headers.

Last edited:
My suggestion for a proposed change is to allow for any commercially available stock style replacement exhaust headers and crossover pipe.
Examples are Kirban, Performance Parts, G Body Parts or GSCA stock style replacement headers.
I would hope this change would alleviate the problem of finding usable 27 year old stock exhaust headers.

Another source for this type of header is TA performance. I know the TA and GSCA versions are different from each other but am not sure if what G body and Kirban are selling are not ones from these sources. Another set that would need to be discussed is the Postons that were marketed years ago. The header rule would need to written very clearly so someone did not show up with a more race style than what is intended.

Something that needs to be looked at is the min car weight. As it is written now 3500 is the number. Looking at the field from this year nobody was even close. John's car came in at 3575 and that was with the spare tire and jack removed to try to save weight. Why have a weight so low that cannot even be meet by cars removing factory equipment? This is a stock appearing class, I would think the weight should be at least some what do able for a car with factory equipment.

Another source for this type of header is TA performance. I know the TA and GSCA versions are different from each other but am not sure if what G body and Kirban are selling are not ones from these sources. Another set that would need to be discussed is the Postons that were marketed years ago. The header rule would need to written very clearly so someone did not show up with a more race style than what is intended.

I agree that we do not want the race style headers in this class. With that said, we do need some type of replacement headers and none of the brands listed are an exact style replacement.

Something that needs to be looked at is the min car weight. As it is written now 3500 is the number. Looking at the field from this year nobody was even close. John's car came in at 3575 and that was with the spare tire and jack removed to try to save weight. Why have a weight so low that cannot even be meet by cars removing factory equipment? This is a stock appearing class, I would think the weight should be at least some what do able for a car with factory equipment.

Just for comparison my car weight was 3675 with spare and jack, I removed the spare for the 2nd qualifying pass and that time it weigh 3650.

Just for comparison my car weight was 3675 with spare and jack, I removed the spare for the 2nd qualifying pass and that time it weigh 3650.

Wow, 3650 with no spare and jack. I guess this helps prove my point. The only way you could get even close to 3500 would be to break out the hole saw and I for one do not want a guy to go there. Just to be able to add more information on this subject I called Clay Arnold (who raced the class several times) and he told me his cars race weight in TSA was 3565 with spare tire and jack removed. Food for thought, a quick search on this board showed a jack and spare to come in at 52 lbs.

Just for comparisons also, red, John and myself all were between 3525 to 3540 with spare and jack removed, so I see no problem going to 3550.

Do the race style headers of any manufacture use the ball style x-over sealing?

[QUOTE="Thumper,

Do the race style headers of any manufacture use the ball style x-over sealing?[/QUOTE]

The Atr and Ta race headers, which are probably the most common headers both used v band style connections.

Hi guys, I recently bought J.Ts Ttype. I'm planning on bringing it back to BG next year to run in TSA and I'm looking forward to talking to you all in the near future. Thx

Hi guys, I recently bought J.Ts Ttype. I'm planning on bringing it back to BG next year to run in TSA and I'm looking forward to talking to you all in the near future. Thx

Congratulations you bought a really nice car ! Its good that your going to continue racing it, look forward to meeting you !
What state are you from ? Dale

Welcome to the board Steve. It was nice talking to you the other evening. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Thanks
Bill

#1 I propose allowing the use of 3/8 valve cover extensions with the stock valve covers.
#2 I propose elimination of the rule, removal of the oil fill tube and cap must be done by owner if asked to do so by any participant.

Last edited:
Suggestion to change the Exhaust rule to read, Stock unmodified downpipe attached in stock fashion using factory style donut gasket and mounting hardware.

I propose allowing the use of 3/8 valve cover extensions with the stock valve covers and eliminating the rule of removal of the oil fill tube and cap must be done by owner if asked to do so by any participant.

I take it your thought here is to make it an option for someone to run a set of roller rockers?

I take it your thought here is to make it an option for someone to run a set of roller rockers?

Yes your right, I am fed up with adjustable pushrods and noisey wornout stock rocker arms that are no longer available from GM . I have had bad luck with after market replacements and feel that it should fall inline with the Champion Ported Heads if you don't see it its Legal.

Dale, the eliminations of the rule for removal of oil fill tube by owner will not be voted on, it will remain in the rules for the reason of checking for head studs used in the middle of the head.

I propose the rule on the headers to read; Drivers side may be a stock or stock replacement header that is compatible with stock or stock replacement x-over ( 1 0r 2 piece ) but must have stock passenger header unmodified with heat shields.

I also think that we need to remove the rule about cars must be displayed as a TSA group during Friday car show hours.

Do we allow the vacuum brake rule to continue for the 86 - 87 tr's?

Any other rule proposals will need to be submitted by December 10th so we can vote between the 10th and 31st and make all rules final by January 1st, giving anyone enough time to make any changes they may want to do.

For clarification on voters, John Tubbs car was sold to Steve Branger. Steve will be allowed to vote in place of JT, due to John selling all turbo cars he had and said he would vote in Steve's behalf anyway, so we will eliminate the middle man and allow Steve to vote directly.

Voters on board now are
Steve Branger
Dale Collins
Kip Asplund
Bill Thompson

Dales Phone 048.jpg I propose a change to allow for the use of two additional console mounted gauges, to be mounted in a commercially available pod painted to match the console color.

Propose rule change to allow the use of aftermarket rear NON Adjustable upper & lower control arms that retain the stock rear sway bar.