You can type here any text you want

Turbo Camaro

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

llwood

Does anybody know of a shops that specialize in 3.8 Turbo swaps? I want to drop one in my 88 camaro but dont have the tools/brains to do it myself.

I would talk to UR50SLO, here's a thread of a Mustang him and a buddy just finished http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182837&highlight=camaro it has some pictures of the third gen camaro they used to have with an LC2 in it. Once you walk into his shop it's like LC2 heaven, and most of them are being swapped into something. It's about 3 hours north of you which isn't too bad, but you'll get excellent quality once it's finished and his price is typically VERY reasonable. If you're interested PM me and I'll get you his number so you can talk to him.

Sweet thanks 72, sounds like he has his hands full at the moment i will have to get ahold of him and see what we can set up for a little later in the summer...

88 Camaro swap

Hey man, we have an 88 Iroc and we did most of the work ourselves. Check out the site www.aaperformance.org we are working in the Indy area repairing hail damaged cars, so call Alan at 888-961-3368 and he can help you with questions.

thanks

88ZNX said:
Hey man, we have an 88 Iroc and we did most of the work ourselves. Check out the site www.aaperformance.org we are working in the Indy area repairing hail damaged cars, so call Alan at 888-961-3368 and he can help you with questions.

thanks
Sorry took so long to respond i didnt see this here, so how much did you have wraped up on the install there? It looks pretty good in the pics

We've done two swaps into the 82-92 Camaro body with great results...

88ZNX did a great job on his car too...!!!!!

I've got a 77 Skyhawk in for a swap right now and will be buizy with it as the engine bay is tight and there is alot of changes that is being required to make it workable in that body style.

I won't be able to take on another project till that one is finished and back to him.

If 88ZNX has more time on his hands and is closer I'm sure he'd do a great job.

The F-Body swap isn't real difficult especialy when you've gone through it before. It's the best of both worlds.. you'll be happy with the end product!

Glad to help how ever you decide to go with the project...

Scott~

Thanks for the nice comments everyone... (blush) :wink:

UR50SLO said:
We've done two swaps into the 82-92 Camaro body with great results...

88ZNX did a great job on his car too...!!!!!

I've got a 77 Skyhawk in for a swap right now and will be buizy with it as the engine bay is tight and there is alot of changes that is being required to make it workable in that body style.

I won't be able to take on another project till that one is finished and back to him.

If 88ZNX has more time on his hands and is closer I'm sure he'd do a great job.

The F-Body swap isn't real difficult especialy when you've gone through it before. It's the best of both worlds.. you'll be happy with the end product!

Glad to help how ever you decide to go with the project...

Scott~

Thanks for the nice comments everyone... (blush) :wink:
I think you are closer than 88ZNX is, he is working in my area right now but he lives in Mississippi i think. Time is not of major important for me its gonna be into summer before i have all the funds together. I would love to tackle a project like this myself but i am a truck driver and am out of town all week and only home on the weekends. If you could seen me an email or something when you have time dealing with general parts needs and what kinda prices i am looking at that would be great. I have no problem waiting if it mean outstanding results in the end. ;)

E-mail Sent with details....

Everyone here in the Hybrid section has good comments and ideas from their swaps that is always usefull!!!!

Thanks again for the nice comments guys~

Scott~

That'd be cool...

Yes... It's the same swap as several others have done in 93up firebirds...
They have been in GM high Tech mag several times... Looks like a nice swap. If I rember right both ran in the 10's and could be driven daily....

I've not done the swap personaly but would not be scared to...

Wouldn't people be a little flipped out hearing a turbo spool up in a Camaro? :)

~Scott~

so what would it cost to do a cheap conversion in a Camaro ??? $1000-2000 ? :biggrin:

First post, new member, owned a few early turbo+carb buicks.

Looking to put convert my 88 Camaro also, tossing the 2.8. I favor doing a 3.8 swap, but am considering a few twists and other options.

Will be a little while before I do it. Right now I am working on a supercharger kit for the 2.8 and 3.1.

Centrifugal unit. The 88 2.8 sucks becuases its a 2.8, but does have the plus of having lathe turned pistons, hahaha if you can call that a plus from the factory. No one makes a kit, so I am doing my own for giggles and maybe the Grassroots Motorsports challenge 2006.

Once I finish the kit I am sure I will get bored with the power. So then its time for a motorswap. Keeping with a v6 only two choices I am considering are the 3.1 Turbo from a Turbo Grand Prix (cause I have the motor) and the 3.8, I favor the 3.8. I want to do it on a budget and I want I plan to run a supercharger first, then maybe a twin charger setup. Thats a ways off.

I have a 3.8 block that I am tossing out, it has rust holes in the intake valley, it came with other parts, but the block is worthless near as I can tell. So I will be getting another block. Thats about as far into it as I have gotten.

I came on the board to freshen up my knowledge on these motors. So here i am asking about typical cost for the swap, I will do my own work.

I am thinking I might even use a Carb Motor and do an LPG conversion. Boost plus 110 octane propane would make for some interesting fun.

I have done plenty of propane conversions, so thats a no brainer...

Alright so thats me and my madness...

Grumpy:

That's about right on the labor end of things for that swap... Parts are dependent on how much power and bling you want.

X3MV6: Buick engines vary in price on condition and how complete they are IE: harness,ECM,Trans ect..
Not sure on the propane or supercharger stuff your talking about... maby someone else has a tip for you on that one. :confused:

~Scott

Scott,

Thanks for your input. Yea the costs will varry, I get that in a big way. Looking at various years of engines. The supercharger part of it is cake, thats what I do, got a little business doing that sort of thing. Same with the propane conversions.

The simplest approach is basically a carb type setup, but instead of a carb, using the propane mixer. A propane conversion is simple, mixer & regulator, then lines and tank, few other bits, but basically the mixer and the regulator are the big bits. The Mixer is just basically a carb for propane but a carb. Can be run in blow thru or draw thru configuration.

What I really am keen on is the strongest block, for the most boost, I even thought about sleeving to reduce bore size to handle more boost... But I am very undecided.

I guess it comes down to a before black or after black regal block or the newer stuff. Junk yard budget is the idea... get it running and then start thinking about the next step.

Back