Turbo Drain pipe - block machining

gdouaire

I have looked at several threads on this forum, never got to see what the oil drain return looks like on a OEM block. I did see however a oil return pipe someone pictured (to sell), and it looks like the end that goes back into the block is non-threaded. I also understood that there were different setups offered by Buick over the years. I have also read that there's a grommet involved, again no picture found here nor on google.

Does anyone have a photo of a OEM drain pipe return in the block?

I have NA block that I need to modify to accept an oil return drain, where do I have to drill and tap (I want to use a threaded return)?

And also: from what I see, a valley pan intake gasket would interfere with the oil return, am I not right?

See picture, yellow X marks the spot where it looks OK to have a oil drain return. Valley pan gasket shown but will likely not be used.

Comments (and pictures!) welcomed :)
IMG_20180116_091515.jpg

yep. The turbo setup I bought to adapt came with a rubber drain pipe (see below), not sure if this is OEM, but I don't really want to use rubber.

I'd re-use the flange but for a different setup.
IMG_20180116_103815.jpg

If it were me, I'd run the drain all the way to a bulkhead fitting in the oil pan, not drill the block.

On a draw through carb set up the drain tube goes into a grommet in the intake. 78-83.

Attachments

• 20171015_154255.jpg
    20171015_154255.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
Ah! Thanks a lot! Got it. The intake below is for a Riviera of that vintage, I circled the port. I have such port on my Holley intake, I'll use that.

My next question: does that mean that the oil will pour down on the intake pan?

20180117_062938.png

Mine had valley gasket when I took the intake off. Post a picture of your intake. That has to be a rare piece.

The grommet / port shown above on the intake is used in certain Buick applications for PCV. I have seen normally aspirated intakes in my 1976 shop manual with the same exact port. Maybe they moved the PCV on the valve cover for Turbo applications, leaving the intake port for Turbo oil drain duties?

My intake has two holes. One for the drain and one for the psv. I can get a picture of it if you want? My block also has a threaded plug where you marked yours for a hole.

that manifold is crowded with ports :)

So with your current project, that's quite a change...!! what car is that in?