You can type here any text you want

Turbo oil drain

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnxtc2

Staff member
After welding the bung onto the oil pan for the drainback, this is the angle it wound up at. I am figuring it as a kitchen sink trap that the height and weight of the oil will push right through. Is there any pressure in the oil drain from the turbo?

The smaller line is the drain (-10AN). I was thinking about making it -8AN. The other line is my oil pump suction/feed (-16AN)

Thanks

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

P1120017.jpg

I don't think you should have any issues with that slight angle. But I have run a -8 as a drain and caused the oil to back up into the turbo. Switched to a -10 and it drained properly.

I think you will be fine especially after you lift the wheels each time to empty out the drainback line! one of the prettiest engines i ever saw-great workmanship!

Should have no problems...

Billy, is that monster gonna be ready for the GS Nationals in May 08 ?

I run a -10 on the drain also. I have never ran anything smaller, so I can't say whether the -6 will work or not. I know the -10 resembles the same drain size as the stock drain pipe. You want that setup as free flowing as possible. I would try to take that angle out of it, if at all possible. Build up a small trough box there at the front of the pan to take the larger size and give you the right angle. Don't compromise. The engines to pretty for that.

Corky Bell in his book says -8 or 1/2" tubing is the minimum for the turbo drain line. I don't think that little bend is going to cause any problems for you.

We are running a -10 AN on our setup, was told that is the smallest we should use.

Billy, that thing is looking good, hope to see it at BG.

Jim

I think the -10 will be fine and that small dip won't cause any issues. I'd run the biggest line size you can get away with on the drain with -10 as the smallest. Usually the issues is the proximity to the crank counterweights but that's generally when you line the drain up on the side of the pan right at a crank counterweight

I am currently converting my hotair GN over to the intercooled version and I dont want to drill the block for the return. Where is the best place on the stock pan to put the 1/2 NPT fitting at? I also saw somewere a guy ran his return to the fuel pump block off plate and drilled and tapped it. That seems like a good idea and is easier than pulling the pan. I think its down hill enough a well, and I was just wanting to see what you all thought.

Thanks Dusty

I am currently converting my hotair GN over to the intercooled version and I don't want to drill the block for the return. Where is the best place on the stock pan to put the 1/2 NPT fitting at? I also saw some where a guy ran his return to the fuel pump block off plate and drilled and tapped it. That seems like a good idea and is easier than pulling the pan. I think its down hill enough a well, and I was just wanting to see what you all thought.

Thanks Dusty
I don't see how you could run the line with enough fall to get it to drain in the fuel pump plate because it is on the other side of the front cover. the cam sensor or distributor is in the way.

I don't see how you could run the line with enough fall to get it to drain in the fuel pump plate because it is on the other side of the front cover. the cam sensor or distributor is in the way.

There is no distributor, and also the block off plate is below the cam sensor. I got the plate drilled and tapped last night and then installed a 90 degree fitting slightly tilted upward I plan on running the flexible return line that gbodyparts offers and as long as I run the line down under the water pump then to the plate it is downhill the whole way from the turbo.

If you a plumbing a turbo oil return line, a 90 degree fitting maybe a idea you may want to think about reconsidering.
A straight fitting... maybe:biggrin:

If I run a straight connector it points the hose straight into the way of the belt tensioner and I would have to make a bigger loop with the line to get it into the plate. With the 90 it points right to the front of the car and the line will go straight into it. I also slightly pointed the fitting up ward so the oil will flow thru it easy. I talked with the member that I got this idea from and he is running a twin turbo set up with a 90 comming off the plate, and then it goes into a tee and he has no flow problems.

Back