You can type here any text you want

Turbo V6 Impala SS = 12.08

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

65malibuss

I went to Bowling Green last week and ran a new best et of 12.08.
I raced in the hybrid open class which used a pro tree and I got beat by the yellow corvair with the 455.
I don't know if I will ever be competitive on a pro tree racing against NA 455's.
I guess if I got a 2 step rev limiter and 2 step boost controller and built the boost before staging I could do better.
I also raced in the B4 bracket class but lost also to a naturally aspirated GS.
I figured I'd try racing without building any boost at the line but my reaction time suffered, probably due to the amount of time for the rpm's to come up and get the car moving after flooring the gas pedal.
I wonder how many Turbo cars actually win bracket races against naturally aspirated cars each year at the nationals.

Photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1648.jpeg
    IMG_1648.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_1697.jpeg
    IMG_1697.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 579
i wonder what that car weighs?? thats really moving for a big car with a turbo v6

3915 pounds (without me)
Me = 190 pounds
Total = 4105

Attachments

• impala launch 2.jpg
    impala launch 2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 880
I'm thinking about getting boxed rear control arms, air bags, fuel cell, roll bar, TH400, FAST, bigger injectors and I'll try to lighten it up a little. Basically get it ready for a more powerful engine that I could build for the following year.

But I also bought an 86 Regal rolling chassis last fall which already has a roll bar, 12 bolt 4.10 posi rear, fiberglass hood and I'm thinking about putting a 455 and TH400 in it. I was talking to some of the Regal Modified guys at the nationals and they said you can get a 455 and TH400 out of a mid 70's Riviera pretty cheap, add cam, carburetor, torque converter, headers, slicks and you're in the low 11's.

cool, but i would like to see the car go deep in the 11`s...i had a 96 SS and that was my plans to put in a GN motor but i sold it for a truck to tow the GN...Good luck with either:p

SSSSSSSSSSSwwwwet

Have you posted this on the Impala SS Site????

I got kind of a rude welcome when I first went over there.... Might be due to the story I had of my Turbo Nissan Spanking a SS. (which is no big deal) but It was just a conversation starter... Guess it worked.

Anyway..> I love the car man!!! Awsome! :)

Are you heading up to Norwalk here for the next Buick event?

I think if you put the o'girl on a diet she'd wake up some more. Also building boost on the line is a must!!!!!!

Way to go!!!!!!
Scott~

Amazing

That's cool that lil V6 moves that boat(aircraft carrier)down the tarmac.

I think I'll be attending the Super Chevy Show in Commerce, GA that weekend. That's one of the advantages of having an Impala with a Buick motor - I can attend Impala events, Buick events and Chevy events.

Why is your car so light? Mine is 4051, and I've shaved at least 200 from it. The turbo v6 can't be that much that much lighter than a sbc, can it?

Cool car, I like different. :cool:

4051-3915 = 136, which is not much different considering 2 less cylinders.
Mine is 3915 without me, without spare tire and jack, single aluminum 3" exhaust and most of the air conditioning parts are removed (compressor, condensor, lines).
But it's also with a full tank of gas, a turbo and intercooler.
The stock exhaust is heavy - cast iron exhaust manifolds, 2 catalytic converters, 2 mufflers, 2 resonators, 1 or 2 weights to help reduce vibration and I think it's all stainless steel.
Maybe the 200-4r is also lighter than the 4L60E?
And my 9" non lockup torque converter is definitely lighter than the stock Impala converter.
The centerline wheels are lighter also.

Awesome!!! congrats on the new ET. I had to e-mail this thread to a couple of guys! Who also love the car. Great job:D

I saw your Bu powered Impala at BG and it was very impressive!. If it were mine, I'd install an Alky Control kit, a Turbotweak chip and a cutout. Just turn up the boost to 26-28 psi and get you some mid 11s with ease!

Back