Upper Rear Seat removal

jburnsinnj

How do I remove the rear seat back rest on an '87 GN ? Do I have to remove the seat belts first ?

You have to get a thin piece of metal in the slot where the head rest slides into. The metal slides in and pushes a center clip from holding the head rest bar. The bar has a circle in the middle and a tab sticks through it. You are pushing that metal tab out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to get a thin piece of metal in the slot where the head rest slides into. The metal slides in and pushes a center clip from holding the head rest bar. The bar has a circle in the middle and a tab sticks through it. You are pushing that metal tab out of the way.

Thank you for your reply but I am talking about the rear seat back rest removal not the front seat headrests.

Sorry I read back rest I immediately thought of the head rest. IMO back rest is easier so remove.

Yes. The seat belt bolts are what holds the seat. They're pretty big torx's. I want to say T45, but they might be 40s

oops sorry was wrong about the seat belts couldn't remember ... thx earl

You need to take the seat bottom out first, from there, it's pretty obvious what you need to do.

It can be a bit of a bugger, but once you've done it, you won't have a problem doing it again.

If you need to take the rubber backed jute trunk/seat insulator out, get ready for it to crumble to pieces.......
G Body Parts sells a really decent replacement. 50 bucks or so....

:cool:
^or just leave that heavy ass thing out.

Yeah, but it does get kinda noisy without it........ My car is FAR, FAR from stock, but I do like that it rides and sounds (inside, widows up) pretty stock.... Mostly looks that way, too.... Dang big ol' tires out back........:p

Attachments

• 191.JPG
    191.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
ATR 3" single with no muffler and 295's out back here.

I can't image a 1/2" thick layer of carpet foam will matter in the grand scheme of things. The seat foam does a pretty good job damping sound.

Back in my car audio days I used to hack big squares of foam out of the back seats to let more bass through. It really made a difference in that case.

So no one can give me detailed info on how to remove the rear seat back rest. (NOT THE HEAD REST) One reply sent a video that was very begue. Another reply was that I "need to remove the seat belts as that is what holds the seat in place" ??? And that I need a huge Torx wrench of unknown size.??? The rest of the replys hijacked my thread with nonsensical gibberish completely unrelated to my question. ....???

You need to take the seat bottom out first, from there, it's pretty obvious what you need to do.

It can be a bit of a bugger, but once you've done it, you won't have a problem doing it again.

If you need to take the rubber backed jute trunk/seat insulator out, get ready for it to crumble to pieces.......
G Body Parts sells a really decent replacement. 50 bucks or so....
"You need to take the seat bottom out first, from there, it's pretty obvious what you need to do." Well the seat bottom IS out and nothing seems obvious to me. More details please....

there are four big torque bolts on the bottom of the rear back like earl said t 40 or 45 maybe bigger those hold the bottom in .. take those out and then push it in and up to come out ... the four seat belt bolts hold it in on bottom and I think there is a clip similar to the one on the bottom on upper up top

there are four big torque bolts on the bottom of the rear back like earl said t 40 or 45 maybe bigger those hold the bottom in .. take those out and then push it in and up to come out ... the four seat belt bolts hold it in on bottom and I think there is a clip similar to the one on the bottom on upper up top
There are 3 "clips" on the top - one in the center and 1 each side of the center, lift up on the back after you remove the seat belts.

OK Thanks for the info. Here is what is needed to remove the rear seat back rest cushion from a 1987 Grand National. I don't know if the earlier GN's or Turbo Regals are the same, but here is what I found. The Torx bit needed is size T5.0 It is only needed on the left and right rear seat belt bolts. (Not the two center bolts. ) Those end bolts fasten a metal bracket to the floor that is also attached to the rear seat back cushion. The center two Torx bolts do not have to be removed as they are not attached to the seat back rest cushion. I did not have a Torx socket but bought a set at Harbor Freight which is good for tools at affordable prices that you only use occasionally. Here is a link to the 1/2 inch drive Torx socket set which I got with a 20% off coupon for 9 bucks and change. 1/2 inch drive Torx socket set.