You can type here any text you want

Upsizing fuel injectors

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

brandnu6

Hello to all. Had a problem at WOT. Thought I was "running out of fuel." I have 42 lb. injectors with matching TT chip. Ordered 60#'s with matching chip. While I was waiting for delivery, I thought maybe, it's spark related. Long story short, New Ign. module, Coil pack, Wires, and tightened up gap. Problem solved. So, now I have "brand New 60's w/ chip" I have yet to install. Now I'm wondering if I should leave well enough alone or install them. This is a "non-alcohol" car running 17 #'s of boost on 93 octane. I still have "factory ECU. No "power logger. So, I have no idea what "duty cycle" is. I am looking for some "sound" advice as to my situation. I was told there would be no problem with running 60's. I really wish there was another way to know for sure that the 42's are not beyond 80 percent of their "duty cycle". Thanks very much... P.S. I have all the "bolt-on" mods. Including 5558 BB turbo. Precision stretch IC, and Champion irons. Motor fresh rebuild "Zimmerman Racing."

You didn't post any track times or mph, or a dyno run or two so you are right, really no way to tell without more info to compare to other cars with similar setups. Maybe a powerlogger would be next on the acquisition list instead of just firing the parts cannon at it in hopes of a good outcome. Good data is really the best way to make decisions without hurting your powertrain.

Agree with TexasT. What made you think you were “running out of fuel” in The first place? Totally agree with power logger also. You’ve got champion irons and a nice street turbo no alcohol. Off the top I’d say start at 60’s. If you really want to retain the 42s gotta get wide band or power logger or both. If you want to be safe, 60’s are not a bad choice. My opinion is your setup is kinda beyond the no-tech tune. Good luck and let us know where you’re at!

You should always match your turbo to your injectors. A 55/58 turbo will make about 550 hp maxed out. 42 pph injectors will not support that much power. 60s will. Once you turn up the boost some more when it gets cool out and you feel the itch for more you will find out that you maxed out your injectors.

Here is another problem, octane. You will not maximize the turbo using 93 octance fuel. You will pop a head gasket for sure when you go to turn it up. You have been lucky at 17 psi so far. Get am AlkyControl kit on the car and save your investment. If you do have it already, you don't need the 60s in the car. The alky pump does the work above 13 psi anyways. That is your octane booster.

You will need it no matter what with the combo you have listed, keep that in mind. And yes a Powerlogger is VERY helpful.

Run the 60’s. You are knee-capping yourself with that combo and pump gas. The turbo is still sleeping at 17psi.

Hi guys. Thanks for feedback! I've had this car since 2014. I knew nothing about them. Well, let me tell you. I am now a "Qualified half/ass GN/Turbo-T mechanic." :confused:. I have been ALL OVER this car, at least twice! It is not the first time I have heard "Why no Alky?" To be honest, I just never felt I had worked out all the bugs. Well, I think I have finally turned the corner! By the way, this car has never been to the track. Never ran race gas. My intent was to have a "reliable" car, that was fun to drive. Also, I do have a "wide band" O2, and an electric "fuel pressure" gauge in the car. Let me tell you about my first "W.T.F. moment. Keep in mind, I have a brand new rebuilt motor. So, I'm thinking everything should be, ok? Wrong. I did have a friend with me, who is a "real mechanic," but even he was not sure what the hell just happened. The motor was primed and ready to go. As soon as it started, it was making a noise similar to when the flex plate is hitting the inspection cover, just maybe not so loud. What I didn't know, and that's everything there is to now about these cars is, the "genius engine builder" used a "gear puller" on the "balancer!" that bent the blades on "reluctor wheel." After about a minute or so listening to "metalic noise, the engine stalled. The bent blades wiped out the "Crank Position Sensor!" From there it was one thing after another! Maybe someday I will do the "Alky injection?" Right now, I just want to enjoy car before the weather turns, Winter in New England.

PXL_20240917_163255981.jpg
PXL_20240917_163422514.jpg

Nice looking car. Do you have a scanmaster? If not I would make that a winter project. You already learned how to work on the car, learning to fine tune via the chip and the scanmaster is fairly easy. Get it to run with zero knock at WOT and it will live a long, faitt to my reliable life.

Where in NE are you from? Get the chip reburned for alky. Get AlkyControl with the 60s and you're cheeks will be hurting from 28lbs of boost. Looks like you got everything you need but a Powerlogger to run 11s.

Nice looking car. Do you have a scanmaster? If not I would make that a winter project. You already learned how to work on the car, learning to fine tune via the chip and the scanmaster is fairly easy. Get it to run with zero knock at WOT and it will live a long, faitt to my reliable life.
Hi Mike. I do have a "Scanmaster." I did have some "KR," but it was false knock. I have RJC's "Rear engine brace." It needs to be adjusted occasionally so that when the car is on the ground, the "Poly bump stop" HAS TO BE in contact with the bottom of the frame rail. Otherwise, it rattles = false knock. Thanks.

Where in NE are you from? Get the chip reburned for alky. Get AlkyControl with the 60s and you're cheeks will be hurting from 28lbs of boost. Looks like you got everything you need but a Powerlogger to run 11s.
Hello Pronto. I am in Lynn, MA That's what everyone tells me. I do feel a lot more confident knowing that, this time, the engine was built by someone that "really does know these engines." It cost quite a bit to ship back and forth, but it was well worth the peace of mind. There is a big show this Saturday in Amsbury, MA They'll properly be two to three hundred cars. Gates open at 9:00-11:00. See you there.:)

Hello Pronto. I am in Lynn, MA That's what everyone tells me. I do feel a lot more confident knowing that, this time, the engine was built by someone that "really does know these engines." It cost quite a bit to ship back and forth, but it was well worth the peace of mind. There is a big show this Saturday in Amsbury, MA They'll properly be two to three hundred cars. Gates open at 9:00-11:00. See you there.:)
Unfortunately my Grandson is visiting for RI so no can go. Sounds like a good show though.

Back