Using aluminum 1983 intake with 1979 stuff

So I want to use the 83 aluminum intake on my 79 engine. Should I drill and tap the aluminum intake for the PEVR? Where should I drill and tap for the knock sensor. I have read about the check valve used instead of the PEVR so should I do this instead? Also, will the newer style knock sensor work with the stock timing box? Reason I ask, I have a new one in box for an 87 GN. I know the connector is different. I would like some input as far as what you would do. I would like to keep the stock 1979 carb, distributor, and timing control box.

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
Use the '79 knock sensor, find a spot In the block and screw it in, it doesn't matter where as the cycle rate is pretty slow. If you have a working PEVR and want to use it, look on the '83 intake manifold. Should be a port on one intake runner plumb it in there.

b4black

Yep, the knock sensor won't work in the aluminum intake. Buick moved it to block, in the flat spot between the intake and the transmission. Same place as a 87 GN if you want to search for pictures.

So this is where you have been hiding? The knock sensors are different. You can not use the older one for a newer ESC module. I tried. There should be a hole already for the knock sensor in rear of the block just a head of the transmission. The newer knock sensor screws into the front of a 87 intake water jacket. There should be a tapped hole for PEVR in the intake a head of the carb. I can take pictures of it if you need? 20180118_201636.jpg

So this is where you have been hiding? The knock sensors are different. You can not use the older one for a newer ESC module. I tried. There should be a hole already for the knock sensor in rear of the block just a head of the transmission. The newer knock sensor screws into the front of a 87 intake water jacket. There should be a tapped hole for PEVR in the intake a head of the carb. I can take pictures of it if you need? View attachment 322645
My 1983 aluminum intake is different from your 80 cast iron one. I really don't remember a PEVR on the 1983 aluminum intake either.
20180611_144427_resized.jpg
I don't have a hole in my block for a knock sensor and there is no flat pad.

b4black

A 1979 block won't have the hole as you just found out. I believe for 1980 (first year for the aluminum intake), they just drilled and tapped the block next the the big "3" in your picture.

1983 did not use a PEVR, so there is no hole. ('83 used computer controls).

I don't know if using the '83 intake is worth the headaches.

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
The aluminum intake is better than the cast iron manifold and worth installing but they are still both horrible intake manifolds.

So my 80 setup must be the more desirable one to have if you want to go that route? Hafrod I will sell you my crap if you want. Probably too expensive to ship. My intake is aluminum. I see no point in using this stuff after feeling the changes I have made, unless of course you are restoring a rare car like yours. If it was me I would put a hole 85 top end on that engine. No one, except the purist would know the difference.

So my 80 setup must be the more desirable one to have if you want to go that route? Hafrod I will sell you my crap if you want. Probably too expensive to ship. My intake is aluminum. I see no point in using this stuff after feeling the changes I have made, unless of course you are restoring a rare car like yours. If it was me I would put a hole 85 top end on that engine. No one, except the purist would know the difference.
Figure out shipping. I'm interested for sure