Using the honing machine

That rod hone is about 35 years old...not sure how I would know that.;) With the larger mandrels you can hone the Detroit diesel rods. Every fall I'd get the mini con rods from the air conditioners from the TTC buses. They were an absolute pain...as I had to use crocus cloth to bring them to a mirror finish...as they used no bearings. I swear some of the king pins I rebushed and honed on that weighed more than I did. Great vid...thanks for the memories.

Those machines are fun to run.

.....for about an hour. The lower right side of my back twitches just thinking about trying to do a production run of rods!

Plus, those machines have one of the biggest attitudes of any of the machine tools I've ever ran. They give no warning when they wan't to be a jerk. And no warning when the stones decide to start to eating like hell. lol

Those machines are fun to run.

.....for about an hour. The lower right side of my back twitches just thinking about trying to do a production run of rods!

Plus, those machines have one of the biggest attitudes of any of the machine tools I've ever ran. They give no warning when they wan't to be a jerk. And no warning when the stones decide to start to eating like hell. lol

It was nothing for me to cut and resize 40-50 SBC sets a day. The trick...is to resize 2 at a time...and to always use Sunnen shoes and stones.

I really enjoy these videos Steve V. Having never built a motor I could watch this shit all day. Thanx

That rod hone is about 35 years old...not sure how I would know that.;) With the larger mandrels you can hone the Detroit diesel rods. Every fall I'd get the mini con rods from the air conditioners from the TTC buses. They were an absolute pain...as I had to use crocus cloth to bring them to a mirror finish...as they used no bearings. I swear some of the king pins I rebushed and honed on that weighed more than I did. Great vid...thanks for the memories.
LOL, yes it's old. I believe my Bridgeport is older than me. They work well glad to know how to use them.

It was nothing for me to cut and resize 40-50 SBC sets a day. The trick...is to resize 2 at a time...and to always use Sunnen shoes and stones.

Yeah, I learned my lesson about non-Sunnen stones honing blocks. Nothing like having the middle to size and both the top and bottom still 2 thou tight. That is one machine I definatly don't want any crap out of.