Using TPI set up out of 88-91 Z28?

jdpolzin

Well, starting to put parts together for my budget turbo V8 car. I'm planning to use a 70's 4 bolt main block, do nothing but change the pistons to except boost an adjust compression. For the top end, I was thinking of using everything off a late 80's early 90's Camaro/Firebird TPI. I also plan to use the wiring harnesses and ECM from the same car. I know the TPI intake isnt the best but I'm not trying to pull extreme HP numbers, just a fun little project. I havent decided whether two twin turbo it or not yet. I will be using stock GN turbos. My question is, will the TPI ECM see boost? How hard is it to add a MAP sensor/knock sensor to the system? Will the ECM except these sensors? Thanks guys! -------Jeremy

Jeremy, If you are going to use the TPI, try to get your hands on a Typhoon / Cyclone ECM as they work much better. If you can get a Stealth Ram, they work better than a stock TPI:cool:

Jason

All FI cars have knock sensors to the best of my knowledge so no worry there. Twin turbo would probably an overkill with a stock TPI intake, but I could be wrong. I can't remember which year exactly, Im thinking 90, but the later TPI is speed density with MAP sensor. Earlier is MAF. And also, 87 and up uses newer style heads and intake (23* I believe,) along with center bolt valve covers. So you need to figure out what you are going to do. TPI cars are 9.5:1 comp so you definitely change pistons and use those TPI heads or go the 70-something CC vortec heads and scoggin dickey intake (which means more $$$)

One thing you might want to check into also for future reference is if Full Throttle has scanmasters and MAF translators for TPI cars (wouldn't see why not) and if Eric can burn you a chip. THe stock chips suck about as bad as the stock buick chips. Sounds like a fun project. Dont' forget to factor in some injectors. Might wanna hunt down some supercoupe injectors or track down a set of used 50s. I don't think the wimpy 19-21 lbers will cut it;) If you do this and get bored putting it together there is a little portmatching you can do with the setup, but not much. You still putting this in a regal?

I would start out by taking the TPI base, porting it then porting the plenum as well. What heads are you using? If you're going too much past stock, you may be using too much for the TPI setup. Stocker TPIs have gone 10s with boost, so it's not an intake that should scare you much even so it will hinder top end performance. I'd keep an eye out for a set of SLP runners (port the heck outa em) or use a set of untouched AS&M/TPIS runners if you can get em cheap. The Vortec base is something like $400, so not really worth the trouble if you can't get one used cheap.

87+ uses a slightly different bolt pattern than 86 and previous, the exception being vette heads (aluminum L98) all of which were the 86 and earlier style regardless of year. You can also oval out the center holes to use one on the other.

With 64cc heads I'd reccomend the L2441F piston, same as the Sy/Ty guys use a lot.

Engine management can be one of a few things, the 7165 ECU was used with the TPI engine, which is the same box from a hot air car. If you're cutting your own chips it may be serviceable. Honestly, I would just go to a 1227749 ECU or a 1227730 (speed density TPI) ECU with the $58 (sy/ty) code.

Besides this, I'd go with a 75mm S400 turbocharger, it will be enough to take you deep into the single digits if you're so inclined.

I should have posted that my main objective on this project is to basically find things out of the junkyard to make work and to go as fast as I can go by doing things as cheaply as I possibly can. Jesse, yeah I'm going to put this in a Regal. I want to keep total budget of $3000 for the entire car including motor. I already have a stock BRF200 and a 8.5 posi. I also have quite a few extra chassis parts. I have located a block. So I need to find an 89+ TPI set up then? These will utilize speed density MAP?

85-89 TPI is MAF, 90-92 is speed density.

If you are interested, I have an Accel base and SLP runners that I used on my old 89 IROC years ago I can sell you cheap.;) I also have the stock base and stock runners. However neither of the runners have gaskets or hardware.

Why not use a 5.3 liter gen III motor you can get one for 5-700 bucks and It will make a ton of power with hardly any upgrades to the bottom end. Plus it will bolt up to the brf trans you already have.

I have thought about the 5.3's as well. My only problem with them is I dont know how the wiring harness will work in a Regal? I also dont really want to open one up. I need to change pistons to try to get around 8.5:1 or 8:1 compression. What all needed to get the 5.3's into our cars and running?

85-89 TPI is MAF, 90-92 is speed density.

If you are interested, I have an Accel base and SLP runners that I used on my old 89 IROC years ago I can sell you cheap.;) I also have the stock base and stock runners. However neither of the runners have gaskets or hardware.

Thanks for the offer and I will remember that for sure! SO my best bet is to find a 90-92?

turbo and tpi

I saw your post and thought you might be interested in this go to the turbomustangs.com board and look up trbo355s build tread called How long till it grenades? it's in sbc section. He did what your trying to do with tpi and used junk yard parts it's a good read over a 125 pages and the end result was pretty inpressive.

Many yrs ago, I met a guy in N. ALA, that built an SJ Jag w/ a 355" SBC, TPI, and a T04B. Used a 700 behind it, AND an American OD behind that.. Never did know how fast it was... Noone would drive it WFO!
AIRC, car ran 11's at 4000#, at BG.
Made some over 600FWHP, and 890# torque from like 1800 to 4000.
The trans lasted about a month between swap outs.
It had a cheapo water/air intercooler, and was not much on boost... Maybe 12#???
The first engine had pink rods in it.. Folded them over in the MIDDLE of the beams @ the first pull. Right at 900#/ft...

Wow, thats amazing. I am pretty much just looking to do something cheap that I can drive and beat the piss out of it. If it breaks, I'll fix it!

That Firebird write up is awesome. I'm definately going to use that as a reference. I think he may have had that car in Car Craft? I have read about that car somewhere. I havent read the entire thread but I think he may have had a problem with the first engine? I think he may have blown it and swapped it out for another that was somewhat built.

Either way, I am looking for a base Regal with a good body to start with for now. Then little by little, I'm going to accumulate the parts to make this thing work. If anyone knows where a good cheap solid Regal is, let me know!

-----Jeremy

Shoulda bought mine;) There was a 78 sport coupe in teh paper with no motor or trans. Probably gone by now. Said good body, 500 bucks. There is a 2 door lesabre sittin over at my friends house. It looks REALLY clean if you would like me to check it out for you. It's white with tan interior I think. Early eighties.

Wow, thats amazing. I am pretty much just looking to do something cheap that I can drive and beat the piss out of it. If it breaks, I'll fix it!

That Firebird write up is awesome. I'm definately going to use that as a reference. I think he may have had that car in Car Craft? I have read about that car somewhere. I havent read the entire thread but I think he may have had a problem with the first engine? I think he may have blown it and swapped it out for another that was somewhat built.

Either way, I am looking for a base Regal with a good body to start with for now. Then little by little, I'm going to accumulate the parts to make this thing work. If anyone knows where a good cheap solid Regal is, let me know!

-----Jeremy

Yep that's the car from car craft.... its been cool watching that thread transform over time... I hope flyinghillbilly does something with the motor now as its in his possession*sp*

Shoulda bought mine;) There was a 78 sport coupe in teh paper with no motor or trans. Probably gone by now. Said good body, 500 bucks. There is a 2 door lesabre sittin over at my friends house. It looks REALLY clean if you would like me to check it out for you. It's white with tan interior I think. Early eighties.

Jesse, I know I should have bought your car. At t he time, I wasnt really looking though. I need to find an 81-87 Regal so keep your eyes peeled.

Yep that's the car from car craft.... its been cool watching that thread transform over time... I hope flyinghillbilly does something with the motor now as its in his possession*sp*

I'm going to be following that thread for sure! HE STOLE MY IDEA!!!!!!!!! just kidding!

I'll keep an eye out. Would a cutlass or monte be acceptable? There was a really clean one owner cutlass that went for like 1400 bucks not too long back either. Not a spot of rust or anything. THe stuff pops up once in a while. I'll let you know asap when I find something of worth.

There was a blue z28 in GMHTP years back. Was blue and had a super ram setup wtih twin turbo, intercooler, and a six speed. No info on it though, just a pic and short description. Ran a FAST setup I think.

I have thought about the 5.3's as well. My only problem with them is I dont know how the wiring harness will work in a Regal? I also dont really want to open one up. I need to change pistons to try to get around 8.5:1 or 8:1 compression. What all needed to get the 5.3's into our cars and running?

Im running the msd 6010 box and a blow thru carb on mine the wiring is shamefully simple and the box only cost about $315 and the GM carbed single plane intake was around $350. The 9.5 : 1 comp on the 5.3 will be fine for boost as many are already boosing them. Here is my build thread on the turbo forums and a turbo buick link talking about the 5.3 in a boosted app and has some helpful links.

"Big Red" 5.3 S472 Regal

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-v8-conversions/225908-single-turbo-5-3-lm7-vortec-5300-a.html

Im not trying to sway you from a gen I sbc but there are alot of advantages to going genIII and it may be a bit cheaper.