Valve spring removel tool

87GNALKY

I ordered the 1 from Cotton's but also wondered if anyone had ever used this 1? I plan to do the job with the heads on and was wondering if this tool would work? I know I will probably have to use the 1 from Cotton's on number 6 as it is in a very tight location but this one here looks like it would be very fast if I could use it on the rest of them. It also has the handy magnet built in to grab the keepers automatically. And yes, I know about the 100# of air pressure in the spark plug hole for each cylinder and all that but... How hard is it to install the Viton seals on the intake valves? Ive heard that they fit tight as hell and may need to use a small socket or small piece of stiff tubing to tap them down into place because fingeres are a little fat to get them pushed down. Also, I take it that the retainers/cups are not needed on the 980s. Any agreement on that?
Internet #306763358
Model # 36200

What tool did you get from Cotton's ? The one you have pictured does not look helpful in changing the springs.

I just did my springs and had to make (with the help of others here) by using a factory shaft and modified rocker.

Use the search function on this board.

If you have any questions maybe I can help.

That doesn't look like the one I had. As mentioned above the one I had looked like a rocker arm.

Just stick with the one you already ordered,... and change your springs... Mike

I also ordered one fro Summit Part SUM-906784 but a couple folks said it wouldn't work on our cars so I ordered the one pictured above from Cotton's.

I also just found out that the springs were changed about 15K miles ago and I just easily hit 5400 RPMs doing a burn out and Power logged it. I may be a little too concerned. But when I stick the 275/60 R15s on I may find a weak ass ujoint. Glad I picked up a DS loop..

15k miles, but how long ago? Valve Springs are under constant load, and some more than others depending on where the engine stops rotating. Not all springs are created equal and you don't know what is on there. fresh springs won't hurt.

A thing to know about valve springs is that they lose spring pressure after their first heat cycle. It varies by different spring material but all do.

The science of it is to determine how much for each spring.

Damn, that blows man! I have been reading your threads and feeling your excitement that you had expressed about going to the Nationals. Such a bummer 87GNALKY

Yeah, this was the most excited I've been since I was young. I may see if I can make it up even if I cant run the car this year. Would really like to meet everyone.. TTYL