You can type here any text you want

Vette vs GN circa 1986

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Let me start by saying that I ordered my 1986 GN in november 1985 based on an article in Popular Hot Rodding. The article was "the hot cars for 86" . In the article they started with the Vette and all its specs, then the Camaro,the Trans Am, Monte SS , Olds 442, and lastly the Grand National. "What the heck is a Grand National" I thought , never heard of it ? I read the specs they listed for the car with estimated 0-60 times (8 sec. :eek:)based on last years GN. The only thing that caught my eye was that the listed horsepower and torque numbers were almost the same as the Vette but the GN was listed 200lbs lighter !! To me, being into drag racing at the time (big block mopars) lighter was quicker and I remember saying "The GN should beat the Vette". So sense I had 2 kids, I needed a family car, I ordered a GN.
It was the spring of 1986 in Rochester NY and I was out for a cruise . I was rolling down a 4 lane barely doing 40mph with windows down.My arm was resting on the door with my head resting on my rolled up hand . Then I caught the light, a car pulls up next to me. I casually turn my head without lifting my head from my hand and notice it's a new Vette convertable, some guy with his girlfriend . I thought to myself, I'll let him go first, .... and he did !! He got about one car length out before the GN came to life. I remember chirping 2nd with my rear tires right next to his passenger door (his girlfriend had to hate that), and the rest was history !! I went by him like he was standing still, but the best part was I never lifted my head from my hand as I blew by :o. After that he pulled the Mustang maneuver, and made the next left !! That first year with an unknown Vette killer was a blast , and now I hope to rekindle with the WH1 I bought from Deciving.... I can't wait for spring !!!!!!

That is why gm probably got rid of the gn. cant have a 18,000 car beat our flagship

Working for Delco at the time I got the GM discount and paid $14900.00 for a loaded GN including moonroof, digital dash, auto climate control,and power everything. The only option I didn't order was the power antenna , because we made them at Delco and we had alot of problems with them. The 87 model you couldn't touch for less than $2000 OVER sticker (dealers added on 2 grand because everyone wanted one) unless you got the GM discount!!

I bought my first GN (an '87) in early '87. It was a hardtop car, much like the one I drive now and I paid MSRP for it.

I had to put a new set of rear tires on it at 610 miles - the tread was about gone. :eek: :biggrin:

I traded that car plus cash for a GNX (#281) later that summer and paid $10k over MSRP for the GNX.

Yes, the intercooled TR's were faster/quicker than the Vette, especially the GNX's and Chevrolet was not happy about that at all. Reportedly, this is one of the main reasons that the Buick Regal went to Front Wheel drive in 1988 but Chevrolet kept the Monte Carlo in the same body that year.

I guess the Chevy boys just didn't like the competition. Even their vaunted '87 IROC Camaro with the 5.7L (350) was even less of a match for the GN. Heck, the 5.0 Mustang could usually spank an IROC without too much trouble.

I know becuase I had two IROCs. :frown:

I bought my first GN (an '87) in early '87. It was a hardtop car, much like the one I drive now and I paid MSRP for it.

I had to put a new set of rear tires on it at 610 miles - the tread was about gone. :eek: :biggrin:

I traded that car plus cash for a GNX (#281) later that summer and paid $10k over MSRP for the GNX.

Yes, the intercooled TR's were faster/quicker than the Vette, especially the GNX's and Chevrolet was not happy about that at all. Reportedly, this is one of the main reasons that the Buick Regal went to Front Wheel drive in 1988 but Chevrolet kept the Monte Carlo in the same body that year.

I guess the Chevy boys just didn't like the competition. Even their vaunted '87 IROC Camaro with the 5.7L (350) was even less of a match for the GN. Heck, the 5.0 Mustang could usually spank an IROC without too much trouble.

I know becuase I had two IROCs. :frown:

610 miles lol:biggrin::eek::eek:

Great story. Well told. Not much has changed. We're still known for spanking most everything on four wheels.;)

Welcome back.:)

Mike Barnard

For all we know he could have been just rolling out from the light and you thought he was racing you. LOL

I bought my 86 WH1 from another Delco (Rochester NY) employee (I think his name was Sam Arena?) who ordered the car stripped of ANY thing made @ Delco! The WH1 was ordered (GM Employee discount) in June of 86 and I bought it in December of 1988. He traded it in on a Blazer in Brockport. I bought the car off the used lot a few days before Xmas and had it flat bedded home until spring of '89.
I still have it. Stripped WH1, no power anything. Probably one of the last, if not the last WH1 ever built.
Vettes still chase me around Rochester. I've been told my Big Block Monte runs great. Makes me chuckle.

Sam is a good friend of mine . His mom use to baby sit my first son. He bought his WH1 after going for a ride in my GN. I think I helped sell at least 4 turbo cars after people had a ride in mine. We should get together (if your still in the Rochester area) this summer cause I just bought a WH1 myself ! :)

I think he bought it stripped because of money . At Delco we made every electric motor in most all GM cars . At one point we were one of the largest producers of 12v dc motors in the world !! We built them from scratch , raw materials in , motors out. It's all gone out of the country now !!

On a side note , My buddy Sam use to date Michele Spaziano ,who hosted The Power Block on Spike TV (1st year) :D She is one of my wifes best friends and from Rochester also !!

Back