Weird Thing with Wheel Studs?

mgmshar

The weirdest thing happened to me earlier tonight, maybe somebody here can figure out how...

Maybe 8 years ago, I installed a set of Moser 28-spline axles. At the time installed them, I also installed brand new press-in wheel studs. I ensured that the wheel studs were pressed all the way into the axle flanges. Since that time, I've taken the rear wheels on-and-off the car at least 20 times, and I've never had a problem. I always use a torque wrench when I install my lug nuts, and they would torque-up to 100 foot-pounds just fine. I've driven the car thousands of miles, and never had a problem.

Earlier tonight, I removed the rear wheels. The lug nuts seemed fairly tight when I took them off. When I put the wheels back on, I started to torque them down. After I hit about 60 foot-pounds or so, the torque wouldn't go any higher - the lug nuts just kept spinning. WTF? Thought maybe the threads were being stripped or something. So, I took the wheel and drum back off. All of the threads were fine. I then figured out the problem - every single stud had backed out of the axle flange by about 1/8". All ten of them (5 on the left, and 5 on the right). When the lug nut hit about 60 foot-pounds, it wasn't tightening the wheel, it was drawing the stud back into the axle flange. I was baffled. How did these things all back themselves out?

I found an M12 washer and nut, and I placed them on each stud, one at a time. After bottoming the nut/washer on the axle flange, I used a breaker bar and socket to keep turning the nut until the stud fully re-seated itself. Did all ten studs this way with no problem. I then remounted the drums and wheels, and everything torqued-up to 100 foot-pounds just fine.

I'm fairly convinced that the studs backed themselves out while I was removing the wheels. I tightened all of the wheel lugs not that long ago, and they all hit 100 foot-pounds with no problems. How the helk could these things have all backed themselves out by just loosening the lug nuts tonight? Has anyone ever seen that before? I'm baffled by this...

???

i have seen the splines not quite proper for the hole. so I pulled the studs and cleaned stud and hole with break cleaner and use good fresh, red locitite, and assemble and tork tite and let dry overnight.this works well for me the splines and studs are not matched 100% so you glue them.

Did you use an impact to remove lugs? Lugs might have bound into the rim and pushed the stud out a little.If it does it again I would pull axles and drill and tap axles and get screw in studs.
I was working on a volvo and the lugs are the same thread and pitch as a Gn. Here is the cool part the part of the lugnut that touches the rim does not spin just the nut part does. The lugs look pretty close to a Gn and this may solve your problem. The car was 2003 s40. Dont know if this helps just passing on the info.good luck

chopped39 said:
Did you use an impact to remove lugs?

Used a simple crossbar style lug wrench to remove the lugs. I very rarely use an impact on my car.

The weather has been very strange around here, went from very cold to 60 degrees in 24 hours, so everything in the garage was covered in dew. Maybe there was some weird thermal expansion thing going on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

I can only guess the knurl on the stud was the wrong size? i think .509 is the right for our cars but they make larger and smaller sizes. Just a guess/