What are the effects of having an intake flow more than the heads?

The Granny

I picked up a BGC intake with slight porting from another member on here a while back, and had planned on keeping it in storage until I changed my combo from ported irons/stock intake to GN1 aluminum heads/BGC intake.

However, since I won't be upgrading to aluminum heads for quite some time now, I've been pondering putting the intake on my iron heads and running my combo like that. I'm assuming the BGC intake flows more than my iron heads (don't have flow data on either). Hypothetically speaking, if that assumption is correct what positive/negative effects could I expect? The heads would then become the obvious bottleneck. I'm just curious if anyone has done this before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the intake ports on the heads are smaller than the outlet of the intake manifold, there will be a ledge that would cause reversion on a naturally aspirated engine. How much of a problem this might be on an artificially aspirated engine, I don't know. Obviously it is less than ideal.

The intake is no problem however there is a down side as you will have more lag and your out of the hole will be softer unless you leave with boost.

Don't waste your time. Wait till you have the better heads on

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

thanks for the replies fellas, answered all of my questions. since I highly doubt my ported stock intake is a restriction, and given what y'all said, I'll hold off until I get some gn1 heads. Also Bart mentioned more lag, but I'll be leaving off a transbrake at the track so that's not a big concern for me. Again thanks guys

I picked up a BGC intake with slight porting from another member on here a while back, and had planned on keeping it in storage until I changed my combo from ported irons/stock intake to GN1 aluminum heads/BGC intake.

However, since I won't be upgrading to aluminum heads for quite some time now, I've been pondering putting the intake on my iron heads and running my combo like that. I'm assuming the BGC intake flows more than my iron heads (don't have flow data on either). Hypothetically speaking, if that assumption is correct what positive/negative effects could I expect? The heads would then become the obvious bottleneck. I'm just curious if anyone has done this before

It's no problem since the stock intake ported will make 1000hp and not to many guys will hit that number

If your heads are still untouched you've got a LOT of power on the table if you bowl port them and backcut the ski jump of the exhaust valves.