What intercooler are you running and for what reasons have you made this selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison

Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Just looking for a response to the question. Anyone who can support their reasons with data supporting their reasons gets extra points!

I bracket race my car most weekends. I HAD a GBODY SLIC...but it would heat soak and the ET's were inconsistent. I got a deal on a TR Customs Megacooler. My ET now stays consistent for bracket racing.

Old CAS V-4 SLIC. (Modded) http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/how-to-maximize-your-slic.305569/
I run a double nozzle alky and don't feel I need the extra cooling of a front mount. I run 126 mph in the quarter with 91 octane gas, on only 22 lbs of boost. Therefore, I feel that it can't be too much of a restriction. Got it for a good price too. ;)

This will end up being a great thread.:)

Mike Barnard

Old CAS V-4 SLIC. (Modded) http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/how-to-maximize-your-slic.305569/
I run a double nozzle alky and don't feel I need the extra cooling of a front mount. I run 126 mph in the quarter with 91 octane gas, on only 22 lbs of boost. Therefore, I feel that it can't be too much of a restriction. Got it for a good price too. ;)

This will end up being a great thread.:)

Mike Barnard
Are you logging hot boost pressure and temperature and drive pressure?

I run a slic, made by armstrong.....I did not want to deal with higher engine temps the front mounts create on the street that may need extra cooling system mods if your not ok with the extra temp.

I ran high 9's with this cooler at 30# and the charge air temp would just get to 141-145 degrees on a 94 degree 58% humidity day last july.

With my old 20 row 2 stock intercooler deal on a similar day with maybe 28# boost the charge air temps would be near 200 degrees on a 4-5 tenths slower combo.

This was on c16 and no alky....now since that cooler got destroyed in the crash we are making our own copy of it to replace it along with some other improvements.... the new cooler will have several 1/8 " pipe taps so we can get more info next year along with a transducer in the header for back pressure numbers.

I have been into the stock appearing thing with my car since i got it....and it still looks fairly close at this time....the more stock it looks and the faster it goes makes non turbo regal guys freak out more LOL

I run a slic, made by armstrong.....I did not want to deal with higher engine temps the front mounts create on the street that may need extra cooling system mods if your not ok with the extra temp.

I ran high 9's with this cooler at 30# and the charge air temp would just get to 141-145 degrees on a 94 degree 58% humidity day last july.

With my old 20 row 2 stock intercooler deal on a similar day with maybe 28# boost the charge air temps would be near 200 degrees on a 4-5 tenths slower combo.

This was on c16 and no alky....now since that cooler got destroyed in the crash we are making our own copy of it to replace it along with some other improvements.

I have been into the stock appearing thing with my car since i got it....and it still looks fairly close at this time....the more stock it looks and the faster it goes makes non turbo regal guys freak out more LOL
Are you logging hot boost pressure and temperature? What brand of core are you using on the new one?

Are you logging hot boost pressure and temperature and drive pressure?

When I get the chance, I plan on logging temps and psi, pre and post IC, then at the back of the dog house (after alky).
I understand that it seems to be set in stone here, of what works and what doesn't work, yet no one has data to back up their claims.
Someone needs to do this. It's been on my to-do list for years now.

Is anybody aware of a delta P or pressure differential capable transducer?
Just use a quality 0-100psi pressures transducer and a quality MAP sensor or another pressure transducer for the manifold pressure.

When I get the chance, I plan on logging temps and psi, pre and post IC, then at the back of the dog house (after alky).
I understand that it seems to be set in stone here, of what works and what doesn't work, yet no one has data to back up their claims.
Someone needs to do this. It's been on my to-do list for years now.
Some things dont work as good as they could. Especially intercoolers. We already have the logs proving it. Trying to gather as much data as we can

Here is what I will be using for tap points..has a shoulder on it for easy locating while welding them in... and the price is nice.
so Weld-In Bungs

Compare
Fitting, Bung, Weld In, Female 1/8 NPT, Aluminum, Each

Not Yet Reviewed

Part Number: MOR-22724 More Detail...

Estimated Ship Date: Tomorrow

$3.97

• Drop Ship

CAS V2.

There was a GSCA article with lots of real data years ago. The V2 is essentially invisible when installed. I was interested in stealth, not being able to see a logo thru the grill.

I have IAT info on this in comparison to my old 17 row, big-neck, stocker. But nothing really A/B controlled or anything. No drive pressure info, I'm not really tuning on (or even near) the edge.

Bob

CAS V2.

There was a GSCA article with lots of real data years ago. The V2 is essentially invisible when installed. I was interested in stealth, not being able to see a logo thru the grill.

I have IAT info on this in comparison to my old 17 row, big-neck, stocker. But nothing really A/B controlled or anything. No drive pressure info, I'm not really tuning on (or even near) the edge.

Bob
I remember the GSCA article. They left a lot of obtainable info out imo. Drive pressure is very important in a class race application where the turbo can "run out". Pressure drop can be a real killer in that type of racing. If we can reduce pressure drop several psi then we can likely drop drive pressure at least that much at the same manifold pressure or have several psi more manifold pressure at the same drive pressure we had with the choker. I know what id want if i was racing with a turbo limitation! Some v8 class racers have picked up 150whp just by reducing the pressure drop with their crappy performing intercoolers when they though they were all out. The core design and type may need to be altered to work more effectively in different applications. Especially those with methanol injection where charge temp isnt a problem but pressure drop can be a crippler.

CAS V2.

Bob
The link I posted has some of it.

At my old job we instrumented the heck out of everything (at least on the dyno). I agree when really trying to optimize stuff you need to control the variables and gather as much high-quality data as possible.

Running methanol injection at various spots in the airstream, and no intercooler would be fun.

When measuring pressure of a moving medium, you want to look at kiel probes, for exhaust, use the larger sizes so they don't clog. The larger sizes respond faster also.

Bob

I'm running a CAS V1. I have no personal data because I have yet to make a pound of boost. The reason I'm using it is because they are black and sit stealthily in place, they have been down the track in 8 second cars, and who wouldn't want a performance part made by a man named Dequick. I can only hope it works well for my needs as I'm not as tech number savy as I'd like to be.

I was told that the CAS V1 was used on the car that had a jack handle welded to a rear axle. They put the car on the dyno and the jack handle attatched to two opposing scissor jacks. They placed a piece of charcoal between the jack heads the V1 dropped the IAT so low that the resulting torque made by the engine caused the jacks to mash the charcoal into a diamond.:cool: How about that for some supporting data.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.