What is the difference in tensioners

TampaTurbo

My serp. belt tensioner is really screaming so it needs to be repalced. I would like to know what the difference is in the two I have found on the board.

Hyway star is $179.

Rock Auto is $77.

$100 is a huge price difference. Can the quality be that far apart?

Thanks

Grant

do they both show a guard pulley or flat? ....i have 2 tensioners on the shelf one with a flat pulley and the other with the tracking guides maybe thats the diff.

Oreilly auto OE works

I just replaced mine one week ago, Price was 98.00 you have to pay tax. 108.99 look like it came with car works Great nice and quiet. I had bought the other tensioner on ebay it was defected. Some time you can't buy to cheap because in the long run you'll end up spending more:)

Here's an original stock part next to the Gates replacement approximately $80 replacement part.

It may be the current A/C Delco part as well not sure where they source the replacement parts now.

It's a quality piece much like the original, slightly less beefy in some areas upon close inspection.

BeltTensionersStockandGatesAltSideV.jpg

BeltTensionersStockandGatesBackView.jpg

BeltTensionersStockandGatesSideView.jpg

BeltTensionersStockandGates.jpg

If you look it up on Auto Parts, Car Parts - Batteries, Brakes & Filters | ACDelco and The world's most trusted name in belts, hoses & hydraulics | Gates Corporation you'll see they are the same p/n. I talked to someone at AC Delco a while back, and they said lately when they do a p/n revision, they may just go with the OEM's p/n. If fact, when I asked, he confirmed Gates was an OEM on that part before. The difference in price is just typical GM/AC Delco markup. Remember when Hank Terry was selling the new Powermaster motors?

If the spring tension is still good and just the bearing is going bad.
Go to local bearing supplier. And get a new bearing prob. Around 2 bucks

90 percent or more of all idler pulleys tensioner pulleys ect...
Take the same bearing think it like a 6203 or a 203.
take the old bearing with you they will get u the right one

There is no difference in the GM and the repop I have except the little logo and part number. Nos's is NOT an original nos GM piece they have been gone for some time now. But as I stated NO difference (except price !! )

38Turbo + Bearing replacement

3.8 Turbo hit the nail on the head. If you just have a bearing problem, it is easy to swap out just the bearing. I just had the same problem you are having. Swapping the bearing was a lot less expensive and I was able to keep the OEM pulley on the car.

What are some signs of a bad tensioner? I notice mine jump sometime when it idles or reving the engine...is that one sign?