what vacuum brakes should I choose

channer

My PM on my daily driver finally gave up... and so have I.

I want to switch over to vacuum. which is a better system and does it make a difference
- single diaphram from any G-Body
- double diaphram from a 87/88 Monte Carlo SS
- double diaphram from 80 "B" body (Caprice, etc)

I actually have a UPIC complete vacuum system that I pull a few years back from a Monte Carlo SS. SInce it has been sitting for a while, I don't how safe it would be to use

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

dave

if it's a stock Tr there are many good kits out there but you will have to change your brake pedal for some kits
But if you're making some power go hydroboost

I want to switch over to vacuum. which is a better system and does it make a difference

I actually have a UPIC complete vacuum system that I pull a few years back from a Monte Carlo SS. SInce it has been sitting for a while, I don't how safe it would be to use

dave

I pulled a vacuum setup from an ‘86 monte SS in ‘97 including the pedal.
I have been running it since then with great success.

Since you already have it, I’d use it.
You could vacuum check the vacuum booster to make sure it’s good before install.
Make sure to bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it as well.

If it all works your good, if the master cylinder doesn’t work they’re cheap and easy to replace.

Dave, I'd recommend the dual diaphragm booster off 86-87 G body.
the larger dual diaphragm unit off the Caprice (B Body) works too, but is larger diameter and crowds things a bit more for space under hood.
I've run both in the past before switching over to HydroBoost

I thought about the hydroboost. Based on what I have been reading, I think my Limited might be a little tired for the amount of pressure that the hydroboost system will put on the brakes & steering system.

Dave... Did you do install yours... yourself. Did you do anything else with your system.

I did install myself, but my HydroBoost from Tallon Hydraulics came with pages & pages of installation instructions. At the same time, I also installed 98-02 (2WD) Blazer spindles and rotors & dual piston brake callipers, Wilwood master cylinder & Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve so had to remove the factory unit and re-plumb some brake lines to suit. I kinda went overboard and added a PSC power steering reservoir (made for HydroBoost) and also plumbed in a De Rale power steering cooler.
Installing a 84-85 factory HydroBoost is simpler, but finding units in good working order is a challenge. Rebuilt units are becoming scarce as hens teeth.
I think your best bet would be the HydraTech HydroBoost that Kirban sells. It comes c/w SS braided lines to connect to your PS pump / steering box & should come with lots of instructions and tech support from HydraTech themselves (if needed).
It's not a cheap change over Dave. You'll be into it for over $1K US before you know it.

If you're on a tight budget & want to keep it reasonably priced, then go with the Vacuum set up at a fraction of the price.

I can vouch for the Hydratech setup myself. It works well and it’s pretty straightforward once you figure it out (I was a total noob and after a few phone calls and headaches figured it out). You will pay for it for the build quality and support are top notch. I’d also recommend the PSC reservoir if you’re going to go hydroboost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave
My thinking is you shouldn't give up so fast on the PM. Send it out to the professional's pro, Richard Clark to be redone and if you take care of it she'll last you many years plus will be cheaper than a good hydro. And no screwing around changing the pedal, especially if you're getting a bit older.
Now, if I ever did want to change it would be the vacuum unit all the way, grabbed a pedal long ago just in case it came to that. If someone has high power they can always get the vacuum reservoir for it.
I understand that the hydro has a bit more stopping power over vacuum but is it worth putting all that extra strain on the power steering pump. It goes out and you not only lose your brakes but steering too, maybe your life. With the PM you increase your odds 50%. As you can probably tell I've had extremely good service from mine but its all in the maintenance.

The Hydratech kit (SS braided lines) that Kirban sells is very nice. Hydratech and Baer brakes MC. I had vacuum and didn't like it.

Ditto to the vacuum brake set up. Didn’t like mine either so changed to HydroBoost and am much happier