Dog people please respond

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
I was once thinking about a Doberman a few years ago. I have since then relocated and came across a dog called a Cane Corso....very interesting breed—anyone have one, heard things about them. I’ve seen YouTube, but I want real experience.

Remember the weight of the dog full grown in case you ever have to lift them up into a vehicle in an emergency. If you're capable than why not. For me, I'm partial to a fine German Shepherd dog.

Thanks for the reply. I’m capable—just want experiences if any.

Never have seen one so ya I did google it ;) GS here to. He's only 95#s an thats enuff for me.

Remember the weight of the dog full grown in case you ever have to lift them up into a vehicle in an emergency. If you're capable than why not. For me, I'm partial to a fine German Shepherd dog.

This is an excellent point and one I really never thought much about until a few years ago when I had to go through it. Keep in mind that it is not what you can do today but what you probably will have to do ten years from now.
What I could do ten years ago and today are two totally different things.

another thing to think of ... is the size of your living quarters ie backyard .. for the overall health and happiness of pup .. especially if its an active breed having to walk or go to dog park gets old real quick many things to think about in being a good dog owner ... sorry no experience with that breed just my 2 cents.. I love dogs very much and really hate to see buying dogs on a whim without thinking of what will be best for the dog .. they love unconditionally and deserve the same in return

I’ve owned a few cane corso. Biggest was a female,160 pounds. Simply beautiful dog. Super and I mean super protective of home,cars,trucks and family. If you don’t have the time to put in with these dogs don’t even bother to get one. They need a lot of excersise and training. They can and will kill if provoked. A better watch dog you won’t find but they aren’t playthings. Beautiful dogs especially with the ears and tails done. Also homeowners insurance will probably be affected as they are definitely on the list of dogs not to have. Also called Italian Mastiffs

I’ve owned a few cane corso. Biggest was a female,160 pounds. Simply beautiful dog. Super and I mean super protective of home,cars,trucks and family. If you don’t have the time to put in with these dogs don’t even bother to get one. They need a lot of excersise and training. They can and will kill if provoked. A better watch dog you won’t find but they aren’t playthings. Beautiful dogs especially with the ears and tails done. Also homeowners insurance will probably be affected as they are definitely on the list of dogs not to have. Also called Italian Mastiffs
Great advice Gene. I appreciate the words—I have the time and love dogs, that’s why I asked. I also love the way they look with the tails and ears done as well—great looking dog

Great advice Gene. I appreciate the words—I have the time and love dogs, that’s why I asked. I also love the way they look with the tails and ears done as well—great looking dog

I've often wondered if that's why Dobermans are rather crotchety because right at the beginning of life someone cuts their poor tail off and crops their nice ears.

I wonder if some of the say non main stream breeds that you never hear of may be more difficult to provide medical care and need a certain level that perhaps most vets may not be familiar with. All dogs have they basic similarities and some all unto themselves. And remember too that the very large breeds have much shorter life spans usually.

sadly its the truth. for years we only got 8 years out of our GS's. last one we got 14. Hunter is now 10 still goin strong. he's on the bed snoring now.
:cool:

Yeah, its sad losing a pup, they're almost like children. The first one we had was a female in 1972, lived to be 15 and out lived her pups. She had 4 puppies in 73 and the one I kept lived to 14. Next little guy was 12-1/2, next one 13 and my next best friend only lived for 5, vet figures he had a spinal defect and that one was really hard since he was so young. This guy will be 3 in April so hoping we have a long long time together.
There's a lot of fly by night breeders out there now so for any pup a lot of research has to go into it before buying and do so from a reputable breeder with good references.

Anyone ever heard of a Canis Panther dog?
Canis panthers are hybrid dogs. they are very loosely bred. i have seen pit/doberman versions and doberman/dogue de bordeaux versions. i like the dogue de bordeaux mixes. as with most hybrids, if the parents were solid pedigree specimens, they wouldn't be mixing them to produce non pedigree dogs.