whats up with my trans

david h

1,2 shift slips,fluid looks funny i think , i can bottom the tv plunger with on finger
DSCN0208.JPGDSCN0214.JPGDSCN0211.JPGDSCN0219.JPG

It's light pink because it's full of air, which is bad.
Your clutches are in the pan.

Stick a fork in it, it's done.

It's like pink because there's coolant and water in it you better check your radiator because even if you get it rebuilt it will just cause the same problem again and whatever you do don't use an aftermarket cooler in replace of the one in the radiator get it fixed I see this in my shop a lot and I see a lot of cars come in my shop where the Transmissions were built by other shops and they bypass the factory cooler and use an after-market one this is no good use a stock one at bare minimum or if you want to use an aftermarket in series with the stock cooler as this is the best option good luck

I have eliminated the stock in radiator cooler because of exactly what had happened to you . Now you have trans fluid all through your coolant passages . After you get it rebuilt install the biggest cooler you can find and bypass the stock radiator trans cooler and run straight to the aftermarket Trans cooler . I also eliminated the stock oil cooler aswell and so have many ppl that I know and not a single one has had issues with oil temps being to high in fact it helped the coolant system out because it doesn’t have to deal with the trans and oil anymore.

I have eliminated the stock in radiator cooler because of exactly what had happened to you . Now you have trans fluid all through your coolant passages . After you get it rebuilt install the biggest cooler you can find and bypass the stock radiator trans cooler and run straight to the aftermarket Trans cooler . I also eliminated the stock oil cooler aswell and so have many ppl that I know and not a single one has had issues with oil temps being to high in fact it helped the coolant system out because it doesn’t have to deal with the trans and oil anymore.
You're an idiot

dank GN i agree with you i have been using aftermarket cooler for years and i do mean years with NO issues, from stock, built 200r from Extreme Auto, turbo 400's and zero issues. I was told by Art Carr back in the late 80's and early 90's to do so.when Duttweiler was building my engines and the trans was always the weak point.

I wouldn't call myself an expert but most probably would seeing how I've been building transmissions for the last 30 years guess I would classify me is at least being at least very knowledgeable on the subject how many units have you built in your lifetime the GM engineers and all the other automotive manufacturer Engineers put those coolers like that for a reason the reason you don't want to run just an aftermarket cooler is because when it's hot outside and the vehicle is not moving or moving very slowly there is no air moving across that type of a cooler so it will not take the heat away this is a bad situation but you just do it how you want to

dank GN i agree with you i have been using aftermarket cooler for years and i do mean years with NO issues, from stock, built 200r from Extreme Auto, turbo 400's and zero issues. I was told by Art Carr back in the late 80's and early 90's to do so.when Duttweiler was building my engines and the trans was always the weak point.
Yea well both those guys must be idiots aswell lol jk . Yea I have spoken with Lonnie about it and was told to just use the biggest cooler and it would be fine which it has been

new advance auto v8 rad ,heads are off waiting on a cam ,no trans oil in the coolant its an 84 gn so no oil cooler, it was supposed to have been rebuilt so i dont even know if its a gn trans, i think it looks like air but im in northern indiana so its sat for the last 5 months shouldnt the air have came out by now

new advance auto v8 rad ,heads are off waiting on a cam ,no trans oil in the coolant its an 84 gn so no oil cooler, it was supposed to have been rebuilt so i dont even know if its a gn trans, i think it looks like air but im in northern indiana so its sat for the last 5 months shouldnt the air have came out by now
Here's the deal dude,you can believe me or not I'm actually trying to help you out its coolant or water and coolant mix but let me just say this Air does not contain any color so why would your fluid turn pink take some transmission fluid that you have in your garage or go down and buy some and add some water or coolant to it see what happens if your transmission is smoked the fluid will turn black not pink I actually do hope this help you regardless of all the other BS that's going on in this thread by the way no matter what the transmission is smoked once you get water or coolant in it it's done as is the converter

Last edited:
update id like to thank you guys who replied ,i went out and got my old rad and put about 20psi of air to the cooler and it was leaking ,$100 rad for a $1000 trans ,hears what i got ,t350 rebuilt 30 years ago and sat under a bench since then for $75

Attachments

• DSCN0220.JPG
    DSCN0220.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 51
  • DSCN0221.JPG
    DSCN0221.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0222.JPG
    DSCN0222.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 52
  • DSCN0223.JPG
    DSCN0223.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 53
Here's the deal dude,you can believe me or not I'm actually trying to help you out its coolant or water and coolant mix but let me just say this Air does not contain any color so why would your fluid turn pink take some transmission fluid that you have in your garage or go down and buy some and add some water or coolant to it see what happens if your transmission is smoked the fluid will turn black not pink I actually do hope this help you regardless of all the other BS that's going on in this thread by the way no matter what the transmission is smoked once you get water or coolant in it it's done as is the converter

Actually, the lack of color is a color. Air in the coolant will froth it up and make it look like Pepto Bismol.
That doesn't discount the presence of coolant. That is an equally likely cause of that color. Can't smell it through the computer screen.

update id like to thank you guys who replied ,i went out and got my old rad and put about 20psi of air to the cooler and it was leaking ,$100 rad for a $1000 trans ,hears what i got ,t350 rebuilt 30 years ago and sat under a bench since then for $75
Glad you got it fixed, happy hot rodding

Actually, the lack of color is a color. Air in the coolant will froth it up and make it look like Pepto Bismol.
That doesn't discount the presence of coolant. That is an equally likely cause of that color. Can't smell it through the computer screen.
Hopefully that turbo 350 will work for you but I would at least pull the valve body off pour some transmission fluid into all the valves and walk them back and forth with a tiny screwdriver or a pic before you put it up in there because I can almost guarantee you those valves will be hung in the bores, then you can fill it with fluid after you get it up in there and make sure the back wheels are off of the ground and roll it through the gears nice and easily so it doesn't rip the lining right off the clutches hopefully this helps, as far as air in the system the transmission is vented to Atmosphere so there's always going to be some air in the system but if it gets the point where it's frosting up that's because the tranny fluid is boiling because of slipping clutch, or band but most of the time it's because of the converter clutch heating up and going bad