Which Turbo+ upgrades

Mark Parks

I have a BONE STOCK 86 GN? I want to keep the tranny stock. What upgrades should I do to go to a bigger turbo?
Which turbo? Injectors?
I'm not going to race it,just a little more pop.

Alcohol injection

Go to gnttype.org do the spring cleaning. If you are stock then upgrade your fuel system get a scanmaster and boost guage. Tune your car at 15-16 psi then buy Razors alky kit slowly work boost up to 20-21 psi use the stock turbo to its potential then consider a new turbo. I think you will like the results makes for a fun street car.

Leave the car stock if you dont plan on any trans work.

I have to agree here, as even a small upgrade such as a TA-49 will make enough power to fry a totally stock trans after awhile.

The recipes over on gnttype.org are a very good place to start.

In a nut shell, there are many many different combinations to choose from.
Everything from bolt ons using the stock turbo, to an all out max combo for a stock bottom end.
You need to ask yourself these questions.

- How fast / quick do I want to go?
- Do I want stock appearing or it doesn't matter I want the most efficient set up?
- Street driven driver with occasional track visits or race only trailer car?
- What kind of budget are we working with?

One of the most street friendly combos from the very beginning, was the TA-49 turbo with Blue Top 36# injectors. It was a very good performing combination for what it was. However, even that combo could eventually fry a stock tranny.

The factory components (minus the fuel system of course) have proven time and again to have the capability of pushing a full weight Turbo Buick into the 12.oh @ 107-110mph range.

Upgrading to a larger turbo, that utilizes todays most current technology will make serious power that will require beefing up, of the transmission. You could get away it for a short time, but it wouldn't be long before the dreaded 2-3 flare sets in.
So with that said, if you do intend to go through the transmission, there are a few model turbos that would work really nicely on a stock motor with bolt ons.

Without changing the torque converter (meaning stock D5 2200 stall 12" L/U converter) I would recommend one of our Ceramic dual ball bearing 5857 turbos. It would spool very nicely with a stock converter and have plenty of power capability. Minimum of 42# injectors with matching turbo tweak chip as well. It has the capability of pushing a full weight Buick into the mid - low 11's with supporting bolt ons. This model turbo has really displaced a lot of the older turbos such as the TA-49, TE-44, TE-60.
Let us know more about your goals with the car and we can better help steer you in the right direction combination wise.

Patrick

I have a BONE STOCK 86 GN? I want to keep the tranny stock. What upgrades should I do to go to a bigger turbo?
Which turbo? Injectors?
I'm not going to race it,just a little more pop.

As my original post says,I'm just looking for a little more power. NOT interested in frying the tires. Just a little bigger turbo.

As my original post says,I'm just looking for a little more power. NOT interested in frying the tires. Just a little bigger turbo.

How much is a little more power and do you have any mods to back up more power.... what is you fuel system like, do you have pertinent gauges to properly tune???

As posted by Patrick there are stock turbos going pretty damn fast..... I can understand if your stock turbo is about to crap out, then why not upgrade but, if everything is working fine i would suggest you tune to gain a lil' more power, rather than just throwing on a bigger turbo.... you need to set realistic goals and have the rest of the car sorted out before just throwing on a turbo.... and there are a lot of threads with proven combos both on this board and > Turbo Regal Web Site < i would suggest you read, read, read...

then go in order.... 1 make sure everything is working efficiently now 2 than upgrade your fuel system 3 then get all the proper gauges and data monitors/loggers 4 now you can start TUNING and get an updated chip, possibly up the boost ....... than you will be back at the transmission

Tranny is the first thing to go . It is the weakest link. Transmission was the first thing I upgraded.

If your stock turbo isnt shot why not put an adjustable wastegate actuator on your stock turbo? Simple and effective. But when you start increasing the boost you put a bigger demand on the fuel system. If it was my car with your goals I would put a Fuel pump and hotwire kit on it, Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Turbotweak chip, Adjustable wastegate, and maybe a set of 42.5-60lb injectors (these injectors will have enough room for you to upgrade the turbo later), and a K&N air filter with a good solid MAF pipe and a SCANTOOL. For under $1300 bucks. A new turbo is going to be $600+, and you still need to upgrade the fuel system after you put it on. If you would like to talk about possible options for your goals you can give us a call at GBodyParts.com Online. We wont sell you anything you dont need. Feel free to call with any questions.

Shift kit(minor tranny work) walbro fuel pump, hot wire kit, turbo tweak chip, 60# injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail pressure gage, alkycontrol (Razor's kit), scanmaster, PTE-44 turbo. This is a very fun street combination. Watch out though, tranny will only take this power so long....

Chuck

mark, on a stock gn we put an alkycontrol kit on with a tt chip walboro pump drag radials,scanmaster etc the trans lasted slightly over a week with the boost over 20psi 64000mi car.the car was a bone stocker not abused with even the stock fuel pump before mods,listen to bison and leave the car alone if you want an untouched trans.

Bison has no clue what he's talking about :biggrin:. I mean the guy is still using drag radial's on his cars :rolleyes:
I know i need to get with the times:biggrin:. I wish i had DR's back in 99 when i went 11.88 with a stock turbo, stock heads, and dutt neck stock intercooler. I might have gone 11.75 with the DR's

Trans should be one of the very first mods you do IMO.

Mine lasted about two hours (literally :eek:) after I did the E-85 conversion and started to up the boost with the stock turbo.

And just so there is no confusion, there wasn't a single thing wrong with it before I started the mods, but it was/is a stock rebuild with probably about 60,000 miles on it. Currently it's slipping... soon to be rebuilt. ;)

I know i need to get with the times:biggrin:. I wish i had DR's back in 99 when i went 11.88 with a stock turbo, stock heads, and dutt neck stock intercooler. I might have gone 11.75 with the DR's

damm kids.. I guess you didn't run the recap drag tires back in the early 90s.. :rolleyes::p They did work very well for what they were BUT the quality kept goin down an down as time went on .. then the new drag radials came out :cool:

damm kids.. I guess you didn't run the recap drag tires back in the early 90s.. :rolleyes::p They did work very well for what they were BUT the quality kept goin down an down as time went on .. then the new drag radials came out :cool:

I actually had a set of BFG DRs on my first GN that was stolen. It was stolen a week before i was going to run it on the latest combo. I have used the recap tires but they are not safe for a car that can haul the mail. When they come apart they come apart fast. You hear that loud thump as the rubber chunks start hitting the wheel wells

If your stock turbo isnt shot why not put an adjustable wastegate actuator on your stock turbo? Simple and effective. But when you start increasing the boost you put a bigger demand on the fuel system. If it was my car with your goals I would put a Fuel pump and hotwire kit on it, Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Turbotweak chip, Adjustable wastegate, and maybe a set of 42.5-60lb injectors (these injectors will have enough room for you to upgrade the turbo later), and a K&N air filter with a good solid MAF pipe and a SCANTOOL. For under $1300 bucks. A new turbo is going to be $600+, and you still need to upgrade the fuel system after you put it on. If you would like to talk about possible options for your goals you can give us a call at GBodyParts.com Online. We wont sell you anything you dont need. Feel free to call with any questions.

Don't forget doing the fluids, filters, and plugs and wires. Inspect and replace vacuum hoses. Get a valve cover breather kit. Fix any leaks. Inspect front and rear suspension. Body mounts. Clean throttle body. New valve springs, new timing set. Am I missing anything? Remember their only original once. Any original parts you take off, throw in a box and put on the shelf.