Which way the TORNADO should be facing

LIVE4RDO

Hey crowd

Getting ready to install my TORNADO. There is an arrow on it towards "ENGINE".

In our case, is it suppose to face the turbo or the MAF/air cleaner?

Thank you

I don't remember the orientation of the arrow on the tornado. But I installed it in the MAF tube so that the flush end of the tornado would sit against or close to the turbo inlet. The opposite of the tornado has a slight dish or chamfer on the blades for the incoming air. I never was crazy about stuffing that in the intake. But without it my car has a nasty part throttle turbo surge.

I know which direction I'd face it. Right toward the scrap pail.

So basically it's introducing an airflow restriction to reduce surge. I guess that's one way to do it...

Also thought I should mention that, depending on how cheaply a Tornado device is constructed (soldered vanes? welded?), there's a small risk of one of the vanes breaking off someday and getting ingested by the turbo. A similar thing happened to another forum member who purchased a cheap Spectre air filter and had a chrome cap on the inside top of the cone, come unglued and got ingested by the turbo, causing major damage. I'd be wary of that.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a310/1802932/

Last edited:
Well, I'm obviously not looking for better gas mileage. I just want to get rid of that annoying flappering sound.

Bryan, any better idea? Damn, you the one that built the turbo for me so i might as well listen to you.

So basically it's introducing an airflow restriction to reduce surge. I guess that's one way to do it...

Also thought I should mention that, depending on how cheaply a Tornado device is constructed (soldered vanes? welded?), there's a small risk of one of the vanes breaking off someday and getting ingested by the turbo. A similar thing happened to another forum member who purchased a cheap Spectre air filter and had a chrome cap on the inside top of the cone, come unglued and got ingested by the turbo, causing major damage. I'd be wary of that.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a310/1802932/

Believe me, it's constantly in the back of my head.

Well, I'm obviously not looking for better gas mileage. I just want to get rid of that annoying flappering sound.

Bryan, any better idea? Damn, you the one that built the turbo for me so i might as well listen to you.

Wait, you don't like that sound?o_O I freakin LOVE it!!!! When I had a stock style set-up with a PT52, I used to surge that thing till everyone in the neighborhood thought they were being invaded by Turbo Buicks driven by Martians with freakin machine gun LASERS shooting out from under the hood!!!!!!

It was awesome. I miss that sound like I miss my old dog.

Or you get a blow off valve and then it will sound like a Honda farting.:yuck:

Take like 4 stock mass air flow screens and somehow sandwich/retain them in the air inlet. Be prepared to knock quite a bit of the potential off the turbo by using any of these devices on the inlet. Also response will not be the same when the engine is up against the converter and you flat foot it. Also when leaving from a stop with a good hook time will be increased to full boost. Even if it's a couple hundredths. Switching to a compressor wheel that needs more shaft speed to achieve the same pressure ratio will help also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take like 4 stock mass air flow screens and somehow sandwich/retain them in the air inlet. Be prepared to knock quite a bit of the potential off the turbo by using any of these devices on the inlet. Also response will not be the same when the engine is up against the converter and you flat foot it. Also when leaving from a stop with a good hook time will be increased to full boost. Even if it's a couple hundredths. Switching to a compressor wheel that needs more shaft speed to achieve the same pressure ratio will help also.

So in other words........live with it. Because it sounds cool.

Wait, you don't like that sound?o_O I freakin LOVE it!!!! When I had a stock style set-up with a PT52, I used to surge that thing till everyone in the neighborhood thought they were being invaded by Turbo Buicks driven by Martians with freakin machine gun LASERS shooting out from under the hood!!!!!!

It was awesome. I miss that sound like I miss my old dog.

Or you get a blow off valve and then it will sound like a Honda farting.:yuck:
I don't think he's talking about the turbo flutter when you let off the throttle. He's is trying to fix part throttle compressor surge...I too love the horse sneeze :D

What about speed density eliminating the MAF sensor would that eliminate the problem or a larger MAF pipe like 4"?

What about speed density eliminating the MAF sensor would that eliminate the problem or a larger MAF pipe like 4"?
That would increase the problem because the pressure ratio would become more favorable from reduced pressure drop at inlet. Switching to a bypass compressor cover would help reduce it because some of the air could recirculate as it back flows through the compressor. That would require switching the compressor cover and inlet connections