Who sells Purple Torque Converters? Not Vigilante.

jdpolzin

P3260041.JPG
I bought this torque converter from a fellow board member. He bought my low mile white Limited a few years back and decided to replace the trans. Well he bought this converter for the trans and after installing it, it was too high of a stall speed for a completely stock car, naturally. He ended up going back to a D5 converter. Well, now that it's time to use this converter with a combo, I'd like to know who made it. He is unsure and is going to try to dig up the info. I have searched generically for info but cant coome up with any. So, anybody know who makes a converter this color? Should be the first step to identify it, based on the odd color. Thanks for the help!

BTW....The only numbers/letters on the converter is L17 and them around the outside are M's

It could be anybody's that has been painted that color. It can be a Vigilante, Pro-torque, Pats.....etc. I don't know of anyone who builds a purple color like that. Other issue is that it could have been restalled without any guarantee that the part number on the outside was changed to reflect it. This is a bad thing about converters. There's no true way of knowing the stall without putting it in the car and trying it.

The guy you got it from doesn't know?

Yeah, i agree. This one is painted professionally not a rattle can job. The converter was only run for a very short time. I'll more than likely just use it, I know where its stall speed is at so it's really no big deal I suppose. I just wanted to check to see if anyone might have known who paints their converters this color. It's a darker purple than the pink/purple Precision converters.

I believe that is a Neal Chance converter. Its the same color purple as the Chance in my car.

I sent an email to Oregon Converters and initially they thought that was an ACC converter that they originally sold and painted purple. Now i just got an email this morning that the salesmen checked and they didnt paint the ACC's, they left them black.:confused:

I will get to the bottom of this!!!

I will look into Neil Chance now and see what I can dig up. Thanks for the lead!

Looks like new one thats in shop-bought about 7 years ago-company was out of Ga. and was sold only at 3k stall-but not sure.

i had one like that from a company called Star..... completely grenaded without much use...never even got to the track with it due to other issues with the car..

The only thing I've found that matches is diesel tc's. Precision was building some for a diesel vendor also and painting them this color.

I know this is an old thread, but I have this exact same torque converter and the story I was told is that it was a guy who used to work for Neal Chance and was starting his own converter "company"... It never acted right in my car so I took it back out. The "dealer"who sold it to me was originally out of Georgia as well. Does anyone know what the story with these converters was for sure? Has anyone else seen one?