Who's ready for some 3800 power?!

GBGN1

stroked
GetAttachment-4.jpg IMG_0772.jpg IMG_0781.jpg IMG_0878.jpg IMG_1209.JPG photo.JPG photo copy.JPG I know theres been a couple of threads about the installation of a series 2/3 3800's. I wanted to do the swap but, not like the majority . I wanted to be able to use stock GN accessories ( AC included)and look as stock as possible. Configuration wise I think I have accomplished this in many ways. Engine and trans fit like a glove. NO cutting required!! The engine looks like a v6 ls1 but its all Buick which is what I wanted. I'm in the final faze of getting the headers done by a Fellow member "Slimtastic" who is awesome fabricator and without him this project wouldn't be possible. I started this thread to show everyone what we have done and what is possible. I think this is a very feasible swap . Ive got hours and hours and hours of r&d time on this. I'm finally getting excited about firing this up. Here are some pics of the build. We have been talking and if there was enough of a demand we could offer Headers/adaptors/ Fabricated parts and maybe a wiring harness so anyone could put together a 3800 Turbo buick or any Gbody!! Im sure there will be ?'s so we'll answer best we can. Especially with the tranny since im running a 4l60e with the 60 bell but, there should be no real issues with running a 2004r with a adaptor. Here's some pics let me know what you think,,,, :D

Last edited:
More pics

Attachments

• GetAttachment-3.jpg
    GetAttachment-3.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,142
  • GetAttachment-2.jpg
    GetAttachment-2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,102
  • GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,077
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,170
  • IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,136
  • IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,143
I love that water pump setup. Thats the one thing I gave up on and went to electronic. Great work. Nice intake to.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That'd be cool, probably be alot of people interested in that style build as it looks like alot of the headache is gone and being more lc2 parts / accessories friendly more people would be likely to go this route. That was alot of why previous L67 swaps didnt happen as often, and people stuck with lc2 style blocks from what i've read in a couple L67 build threads on this forum.
Just imagining a 200-4r behind that build and picturing it hauling seriously down the road without alky and under 20 psi of boost.
That has to be a monster even on just pump gas.

I do wonder if this swap was made somewhat affordable as well as to be very plug and play with TR's and other g-body cars. Would some of the vendors that sell parts and services for turbo buicks and trans-ams see increases in business from an advancement in the easier way to have about any average person being able to do a series 2 / 3 buick swap into TR's and such?
Just curious if this took off, how much would the TR & TTA world be changed?

Would those with hydroboost brake setups be able to retain those brake setups and still have amazing stopping power that those currently enjoy after doing this swap?

Very cool that you managed to build this while retaining alot of the LC2 style parts etc on the newer block.
Nicely done, let us know how it runs and what its street manners are like.
It does look alot like a buick v6 version of an LS motor, looks like what would happen if a 109 engine and a series 2 / 3 engine were to have made offspring together.

Thanks for sharing this build, would be cool to see this become more than just a couple builds type deal.

Last edited:
There's nothing necessarily wrong with our 231 cu inch v6 LC2's, but the series 2 / 3 engine swap build at lower boost levels on just pump gas would provide around the same performance that some see that takes alky, alot bigger injectors and a bit more of boost with ported heads with a bigger turbo to accomplish on the LC2 platform and still would hold up longer than our LC2 platform would at that power level.
The LC2 platform needs alot of help to make power on the water down fuel from the last decade or so, the series 2 / 3 engine platform on the same fuel with less help will out perform quite a few builds on our older platform engines and still go many miles down the road without breaking. A LC2 to go for example into the low 11's high 10's will take much more money to do so than a series 2 / 3 engine would to reach the same power level and wouldn't be on the edge of breaking anything. Which would mean you could have one heck of a daily driver that you don't have to worry about the engine possibly having an issue if you make a few runs at a track. Could put some of the money not being tied up into the engine towards the transmission to make sure it can handle the abuse and invest in tires & suspension to maintain optimum traction to the pavement.

Last edited:
why not buy an lc2 ?

Runability , better block/heads/ crank. Cheap engines. PCM is very tune able with a hptuner. Parts widely available. Something different. Etc

I've got a stroked lc2 in my other buick. Nothing wrong with it.

Would those with hydroboost brake setups need to make any modifications to have them function the same with the swap as they had with the power steering pump on our LC2's?
Sorry if it might be a dumb question.

Last edited:
If someone were to produce a full swap kit for the 3800, I would be the first in line to buy it. Every time I go to the junkyard and walk in the GM section, I see hundreds of cars with 3800's. All I think about is all the potential sitting right there rotting away. I would love to have a 3800 swap in my GN.

If someone were to produce a full swap kit for the 3800, I would be the first in line to buy it. Every time I go to the junkyard and walk in the GM section, I see hundreds of cars with 3800's. All I think about is all the potential sitting right there rotting away. I would love to have a 3800 swap in my GN.

If there's a demand we will build it. Most of the hard work is already done.

Would those with hydroboost brake setups need to make any modifications to have them function the same with the swap as they had with the power steering pump on our LC2's?
Sorry if it might be a dumb question.

I don't see any issue with with this swap and having hydro boost. It still retains stock pump and location . Just had to be clocked and stock hose/ re contoured moved a bit.

Ok cool, figured i'd ask in the event anyone who went this route on a swap who had converted over to hydroboost brakes wondered if they would be in the clear on the brake system. Thanks for sheding more light on the build.

I've seen all of the hard work that has gone in to this build first hand. Great work Brian. I know you're excited to get that beast on the road soon.

In scrolling thru the pics...the only issue I see is the amount of belt engagement on the water pump pulley. I believe it will slip under WOT. You need to get the belt around it somehow.

In scrolling thru the pics...the only issue I see is the amount of belt engagement on the water pump pulley. I believe it will slip under WOT. You need to get the belt around it somehow.
If this happens in testing I'll be able to get more belt with changing the pulley sizes. I've already looked at this and wanted to see how using stock size pulleys will work first.

If this happens in testing I'll be able to get more belt with changing the pulley sizes. I've already looked at this and wanted to see how using stock size pulleys will work first.
In studying the pic better...I would remove the idler pulley and come directly off the crank, and go around the pump and then under the tensioner. You need to find or modify a grooved pulley for the water pump and it should solve any issue you have.

In studying the pic better...I would remove the idler pulley and come directly off the crank, and go around the pump and then under the tensioner. You need to find or modify a grooved pulley for the water pump and it should solve any issue you have.

Would also need a different water pump as that would change the rotation of it. I agree that there currently isn't enough belt contact with the WP pulley.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Great Job! looks real nice. Is that a plastic intake you are using, i was not aware of any front facing intakes like that. Did you have to modify or does one exist.