X-Ray's rear downforce wing built by Coach

C

coach

This wing was designed by Rick Hunt. For those who do not know, Rick worked for ASC and hand built the first 5 GNX's. He then built what many consider the Ultimate Clone in X-Ray...the only White GNX. I am a HUGE FAN of X-Ray and my love of that car has lead to a great friendship with Rick.
Well he sent me a prototype file about a year ago. He knew I was an engineer and toolmaker and wanted to see if I could make it for him. It was for a NASCAR style rear wing for the autocross guys. It was designed to attach to the factory wing and be totally functional. Well I asked for a re-design to be used for drag racing. He did and I made one of each style. I manufactured the drag race style and installed it on my car last summer, but only made it to one Buick Event to show it. This will be the first glance most of you get to see it.
With my new stroker...maybe I'll actually go fast enough to see if it works...hahaha.
Now it needs a few design changes. I want to notch out the wing part to move it closer to the decklid wing. All in all, it looks pretty good I think.
Lets hear some feedback. This may turn into a product for sale in the future. Its all up in the air right now pending your feedback.

Thanks
Coach
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

That is quite interesting. I like it. What if you were to notch the wing so it would move closer to the factory wing and leave a smaller gap?

D

That is quite interesting. I like it. What if you were to notch the wing so it would move closer to the factory wing and leave a smaller gap?

D
Those pics were taken the night before I pulled out for Norwalk Buick Racedays. I am going to notch it this winter. I added these pics to my build thread so it had more pics and explained it. I will post more pics when I notch it too. It is very flexable. You can make the wing any size you want and bolt it into the brackets. I used a 4 inch wing. If you went 6 or bigger, I would design brackets that fasten to the rear bumper with support rods. The wing will work, that is for sure.
Thanks

Nice job Donnie. Why not make it a one piece spoiler replacement with the skills and equipment you have?

Bryan

Nice job Donnie. Why not make it a one piece spoiler replacement with the skills and equipment you have?

Bryan
Well...first off, I didnt design it. Second, there will be 4 designs of it when all finished. I only posted the drag race style. There will be a NASCAR style that bolts to the factory wing ,as well as, a drag race style and NASCAR style for the guys who's cars do not run a wing. It will bolt directly to the decklid. The brackets make it much easier to adapt it to all the different cars and uses it may see. If you look at the pic with just the 2 brackets...you can see the one on the left is the NASCAR style. The wing will stand up in the air way more then the one on the right which is the one I used.

Knotch it and pull it down, you got a winner. Nice job.

Would the OEM spoiler be strong enough to fully support the attached add on spoiler without it getting ripped off at high speeds?

I'm asking because last year I had to swap out mine cause one day I found it cracked, and for the life in me to this day I have no idea how it happened.

I have to be devils advocate Donnie. I know you have a lot of time and work into it but I dont like it at all. It looks like a ricer car add on. Sorry man, just giving you my honest feedback since you asked for it! ---Jeremy

I have to be devils advocate Donnie. I know you have a lot of time and work into it but I dont like it at all. It looks like a ricer car add on. Sorry man, just giving you my honest feedback since you asked for it! ---Jeremy
No harm J. I asked for honest opinions. Your opinion just stinks...that's all. Hahaha
I got to say...you are waaaaayyyyyy out numbered. The response from vendors and other guys at Norwalk was incredible, and the response in PM's here asking how to get one is awesome too. I can add another tier or two if you really want "ricer". This was the best design without looking too obvious.

No harm J. I asked for honest opinions. Your opinion just stinks...that's all. Hahaha
I got to say...you are waaaaayyyyyy out numbered. The response from vendors and other guys at Norwalk was incredible, and the response in PM's here asking how to get one is awesome too. I can add another tier or two if you really want "ricer". This was the best design without looking too obvious.

No prob brotha! I hope you sell a whole bunch of them!;)

No prob brotha! I hope you sell a whole bunch of them!;)

I do agree that it may be a bit much on the street but at the track it's just right. Not overly exaggerated.
For street use you just need custom plates like "DOES9S" then it'll look great. :D

D

First I was bored and when that happens I start thinking of things I want to make. I started thinking of a new spoiler design that would be economical and some what flexible in design. I came up with a design that could be made with only two main components the support and the wing extension itself.
The extension is a simple extrusion that you can use on the edge of the spoiler. The initial thought was four per spoiler but you can use as many as deemed necessary. The wing itself was thought to be made out of aluminum and you could make it with different materials if you wanted, carbon fiber, fiberglass brush aluminum, painted……
My initial thought was a shape similar to the NASCAR Nationwide design.
Now making a prototype was the next thing on the agenda. I do not have the resources to make the extensions easily. I made a call to Donnie and we discussed it and he wanted a drag racing application for the spoiler so I made the second design of the extrusion per his request.
His wing is the first prototype and the designs are endless to your imagination you could actually just get the extensions and make your own spoiler design if you wanted. The second reason for this type of design is it can easily be reverted back to stock all you need is a second center spoiler to modify.
Hey I was having some fun and not actually intending on selling them.

I think what this boils down to is performance. I haven't heard a thing in this thread about it. To me I would not put this on, unless it was backed by performance. Are there any tests to show this works?

Rafs-T-Type said:
I think what this boils down to is performance. I haven't heard a thing in this thread about it. To me I would not put this on, unless it was backed by performance. Are there any tests to show this works?

Is your car fast enough to need one? I made the prototype just to show the design worked. It needs tweaked before it's totally ready. The other design is for Autocross. Maybe ScotW will be able to give some data. If your car goes fast enough to test it...let's meet up and I'll bolt it on.
There is no way to test the performance unless you have a 140mph car or faster. Several guys have mentioned trying a wing over the years.
I put it on because my new stroker engine will have a little clout, and be able to carry it's own.

Is your car fast enough to need one? I made the prototype just to show the design worked. It needs tweaked before it's totally ready. The other design is for Autocross. Maybe ScotW will be able to give some data. If your car goes fast enough to test it...let's meet up and I'll bolt it on.
There is no way to test the performance unless you have a 140mph car or faster. Several guys have mentioned trying a wing over the years.
I put it on because my new stroker engine will have a little clout, and be able to carry it's own.
I do not know if my car would benefit. I saw your 12.52 posted and thought maybe there could be a gain for slower speeds. I know some of those monster wings on ricers look stupid and do nothing most of the time so they are generally looked down upon. If there are good gains to be had with this wing, I would like to know about them. I don't mind looking stupid or frowned upon if it's for a good reason I made the choice. It's just hard to make a choice with out the facts being laid out.

Rafs-T-Type said:
I do not know if my car would benefit. I saw your 12.52 posted and thought maybe there could be a gain for slower speeds. I know some of those monster wings on ricers look stupid and do nothing most of the time so they are generally looked down upon. If there are good gains to be had with this wing, I would like to know about them. I don't mind looking stupid or frowned upon if it's for a good reason I made the choice. It's just hard to make a choice with out the facts being laid out.

I never ran my car hard. I'm building a new engine right now that will make big power, then I will run it hard.
I built the wing, that's why it's on my car.