Body mount bushings

alexo

Ok. I'm set on replacing the body mounts. But I'm a bit confused. Kit bans sells a 22 Bushing kit. Gbody sells a 24 bushing polyurethane set and another more pricey 42 + bushing kit.
Which one should I get. I'm fairly practical, since I'll be doing the work I'm hoping it won't be a two day endeavor. Thanks for the feedback.

Kirbans sells the the 2 "GNX" style bushings separate while they are included in the gbodys 24. I would recommend putting those in too if you're going that far.

Since I have HR PartsNstuff's poly motor & transmission mounts, I went with Kirban's Rubber Repro body bushings c/w (2) GNX #5 bushings.

Many will argue poly vs rubber bushings.....this is not a race car though & I did not want any harsher ride.

I'm very happy with my decision....it's one of the best upgrades I've done.....the car has less body roll and it gotten rid of alot of squeaks and rattles. Almost rides like a new car again! :)

Back in the day my car was the guinea pig for Energy Suspension when they wanted to design a urethane bushing kit. I got mine for free for letting them use my car. I hate it. I wouldn't suggest urethane body bushings for anyone with a street car. They give too much road feedback and make the ride harsh. Rubber bushings are the way to go with the extra bushings in the same location as the GNX.

Neal

i dont know where you live in the world but up here in the northeast there are always a few of the body mount holes that are usually rotted so the holes are oversize and usually need some repair. just giving you a potential heads up

Back when Kenne Belle was in business with TR, his drawing shows the location of the extra GNX bushing mount #5 & 6 as well as the other bushing location on the driver side, which you can copy to the pass. side. Years back I already added both mounts 5 & 6 and also added the GNX rear seat brace, which help the rear from being twisted and prevent the rear from leaning towards the passenger side.

Attachments

• Kenne Belle Rubber Mount Location.pdf
    410.4 KB · Views: 850
Also spray everything with penetrating lube a week before, then a few days before, then the day of.

Great info people.

I'm hoping the holes are not beat up. So as not to do the hole repairs.
The car is originally Georgian and is now in my garage in California.
Seems settled, I'll get the rubber.
But another question,
What's the difference between g body parts more expensive rubber set as opposed to the kit bans set? I thought all that was needed was the # 2-7 locales. Where do the extra bushings go for the g body set?

Great info people.

I'm hoping the holes are not beat up. So as not to do the hole repairs.
The car is originally Georgian and is now in my garage in California.
Seems settled, I'll get the rubber.
But another question,
What's the difference between g body parts more expensive rubber set as opposed to the kit bans set? I thought all that was needed was the # 2-7 locales. Where do the extra bushings go for the g body set?

The (2) #5 bushings are the extra pair that only the GNX got from the factory......these are the extra ones referred to.
Many times alot of the others are missing & likely not installed at the factory. Gotta check each car to see as they could differ from car to car.

In the "FWIW" dept:
The mounts referred to as "missing", are usually the lower 1/2 of the bushings. [Just found that 4 lowers were missing on the 86T].
All G body frames I've worked on, have the holes for #5 [GNX] bushings. [They are just in ft of the upper rear spring pocket]. No lowers, or bolts/washers are used at that location.
I just repaired the frame and body mounts that were rotted out. [3 frame, and 4 body.]
I see no way, short of cutting holes in the floor, to get rust killer spray onto the threads. [However, the core support and ft body mounts are accessible]

In the "FWIW" dept:
The mounts referred to as "missing", are usually the lower 1/2 of the bushings. [Just found that 4 lowers were missing on the 86T].
All G body frames I've worked on, have the holes for #5 [GNX] bushings. [They are just in ft of the upper rear spring pocket]. No lowers, or bolts/washers are used at that location.
I just repaired the frame and body mounts that were rotted out. [3 frame, and 4 body.]
I see no way, short of cutting holes in the floor, to get rust killer spray onto the threads. [However, the core support and ft body mounts are accessible]

Thanks chuck thats been a curiosity of mine for a while....I always noticed the lower bushings in my car were gone....I just thought they were worn and fell out lol! I plan to to the bushings in my car probably in the next month or so.......the car does have some rust on the bottom so from what you are saying I may need to do some repairs.

Should I pull the seats and carpet before attacking the bushings? This way if I run into a broken mount I already have it accessible???? Do you also suggest to go ahead and buy new bolts as well? I saw the 12 bolt kit from kirbins and the two GNX bushings but I did not see the bolt kit for those two bushings......did I just miss it?

I wouldn't take everything apart until you need too. Removing the seats and carpet will not make all(if any) the top of the mounts accessible. Some will require cutting a hole, such as to get to some in the trunk. This will not be fun. And I would recommend new hardware. If you're going to do the job might as well do it right.

I wouldn't take everything apart until you need too. Removing the seats and carpet will not make all(if any) the top of the mounts accessible. Some will require cutting a hole, such as to get to some in the trunk. This will not be fun. And I would recommend new hardware. If you're going to do the job might as well do it right.

Thanks......is this a job I want to attack on the floor or too much of a pinta? I have access to a lift but it sounds like if I run into issues the car may be down a few days. I had also been thinking to rent a small media blaster to hit the little bit of rust where the body meets the floor pans and also in the body mount areas I am sure there is some lurking there too and then coat it with maybe some POR15

I did mine in the driveway. I would save the media blaster and POR-15 until after you get the bolts out. I used an impact on mine on a low torque setting to get my bolts out. That was after spraying them with penetrating lube 3 times. I luckily got all the bolts out without any problems.

Thanks chuck thats been a curiosity of mine for a while....I always noticed the lower bushings in my car were gone....I just thought they were worn and fell out lol! I plan to to the bushings in my car probably in the next month or so.......the car does have some rust on the bottom so from what you are saying I may need to do some repairs.

Should I pull the seats and carpet before attacking the bushings? This way if I run into a broken mount I already have it accessible???? Do you also suggest to go ahead and buy new bolts as well? I saw the 12 bolt kit from kirbins and the two GNX bushings but I did not see the bolt kit for those two bushings......did I just miss it?

The worst areas are in the main floor x brace, just in ft of the rear wheels..The genius that designed that part neglected to leave the lower lip open, for dirt/mud to flow thru. It just fills the ends of the brace, and that rusts out the nut retainer on the mount. When you twist the bolts, the nuts are diamond shaped, [SHARP], and cut out thru the side of the brace.
The other bad spots are just after the rear wheels.. Those 2 get hammered w/ road crap, and are usually rotted.
The body and frame are separated.... Stop over and take a look/see...

The worst areas are in the main floor x brace, just in ft of the rear wheels..The genius that designed that part neglected to leave the lower lip open, for dirt/mud to flow thru. It just fills the ends of the brace, and that rusts out the nut retainer on the mount. When you twist the bolts, the nuts are diamond shaped, [SHARP], and cut out thru the side of the brace.
The other bad spots are just after the rear wheels.. Those 2 get hammered w/ road crap, and are usually rotted.

oh you got one apart right now? yeah I will try to get by and take a look at that:cool:

I have to agree with the ones behind the rear axle as well as the ones behind the front wheels. The frame I got to replace mine had damage holes at the front of the body and the ones right behind the axle are still intact on the new frame.

Question for those of you that have the GNX rubber body mount kit. Does the car still have that Cadillac boaty feel to it ? When I first bought my car 8 years ago it had that feel to it and I hated it, so I first added the missing lower body mounts to try get rid of it but no luck. So I replaced all the body mounts with Energy Suspension Poly mounts and that did the trick, it deffinently got rid of that Cadillac feelling, the only draw back was you felt a little more vibration than before. Now I am trying to find a body mount kit that will give me the ride I have without the vibration, if possible, and was thinking about this GNX rubber body mount kit. What are your thoughts.

Question for those of you that have the GNX rubber body mount kit. Does the car still have that Cadillac boaty feel to it ? When I first bought my car 8 years ago it had that feel to it and I hated it, so I first added the missing lower body mounts to try get rid of it but no luck. So I replaced all the body mounts with Energy Suspension Poly mounts and that did the trick, it deffinently got rid of that Cadillac feelling, the only draw back was you felt a little more vibration than before. Now I am trying to find a body mount kit that will give me the ride I have without the vibration, if possible, and was thinking about this GNX rubber body mount kit. What are your thoughts.

I installed the complete set of body bushings with the rubber ones from Kirban all at the same time (had 2 caged nuts spin on the rear frame cross members that needed to be repaired by cutting open flaps in the trunk to access).....the installation of the new rubber body bushings included the 2 GNX #5 bushings. Could not believe the difference in feel from before and after. It's like a complete transformation from sloppy floaty boaty cadillac feel to a much tighter handling car with less body roll and much less squeaks from the body when going over bumps in the road. Of course maybe the Bilstein shocks and 16" GTA rims & BFG G-Force Sport tires had something to do with it too?
I had a local body shop who's familiar with GN's do the install on their lift. One of the best things I've done and great bang for the buck!

Reactions: hpc