door hinge replacement?

bpman1234

just want to know the procedure on how to do it and where is the best place to get it? .thanks.

Are you wanting to replace the entire hinge and not just the pin and bushings? The pin and bushings used to be available in the "help" rack at advance auto parts. I don't remember the price.

I used an engine hoist and a couple ratchet straps to hold the door up when I put new pins and bushings in.
IME the help pins/bushings are a band aid and didnt last. I went back in with some I bought at a restoration place(can't remember who, I think off eBay, maybe a chevelle place). But they were gm parts.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back in '98 when I bought my car, the hinges were so worn I had to braze the hole up and redrill for the bushing.

but a set of bushings and hinges from the HELP! card in there, assembled it with synthetic waterproof marine grease, then put another 100,000 miles on my car before it was stolen in '06.

while trying to make aftermarket window seals work a month ago, I noticed the bottom hinge has a little bit of slop to it. At least this time I won't have to braze up the holes.

Doing the repair isn't that big of a deal but it is a BITCH getting that spring back in place without the special tool. It seems like I squished it in a vise with safety wire between the coils, twisted the wire and removed the loaded bomb from the vice.

The tool was like 15 bux from the Matco man. I bet it is cheaper on line. Good for squishing springs, not just door springs

Last edited:
what's the tool called to squish the spring

Ok thanks for that info .every time i close my door sounds like Godzilla is coming around the corner.
Sent from LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2

I think I have a spare set of springs, pair of new pins, and a bunch of the rebuild bushings. I bought them to rebuild a set of doors but never got around to using them. Let me know if you are interested in them. You can save on downtime by prepping these, swapping them out.

I tried to search and only found this thread helpful.

Where's the best place to buy these door bushings and pins?

Do I just hit them from underneath to knock out the pins?

What's the best way to handle the spring?

My doors are off the car but the hinges are bolted to the body currently, car is getting painted.

Thanks

Top pin pound down, bottom pound up. First you need to compress spring and remove it then pound out pins. Then you can take a punch and pound out the bushings. Bushing on top of each hinge pound up lower bushing on each pound down. Buy new kit at napa, Carquest or etc. put new pins in hole put a bolt through hole and pound bushing in. Line up pond and pound in. Then compress spring, slide in and loosen compressor back up and pry Out tool.

Forgot to mention that you will have to grind of the tabs on the top of each pin so that it will pound out first.

harbor freight has the spring compressor tool for about 5 bucks. pin and busing set still available at the local auto parts stores

Do you have to cut the pin in half to remove it? I feel like the bottom of the pins on my car has a nub protruding to prevent it from backing out?

Or am I imagining things?

Just cut off the nub hat is what keeps the pin from backing out. The replacement pin should have a metal tab built into the pin to hold it in place

Do you have to cut the pin in half to remove it? I feel like the bottom of the pins on my car has a nub protruding to prevent it from backing out?

Or am I imagining things?

There may be two nubs, opposite each another. I've been known to use a cutoff tool and cut the pin in half. Then remove each half with the cut end last going through the bushing (if that makes sense).

RemoveBeforeFlight

I tried to buy the gm door spring tool from harbor freight but they had none in stock.

Do I need to compress the spring for doing the bushings?

I tried to buy the gm door spring tool from harbor freight but they had none in stock.

Do I need to compress the spring for doing the bushings?

It will come apart without but it would be very difficult to put the spring back in without a compressor.