Rattle sound from transmission or converter ?

434nova

I have developed what sounds like a rattle coming from the Trans or converter. Is this even possible for it to rattle ? What can go wrong to cause this ? Car has been sitting for a while and it just developed this rattle sound out of nowhere. The rattle sound is only there when the motor is idling. If I rev up the motor the sound goes away. But as soon as the rpm drops back down the sound comes back. The sound isn't consistent either with engine speed. One second it's there and not the next and back again. But it is a loud rattle. I don't even want to atempt to drive it the way it sounds. I checked the converter bolts and they are tight as well as the flywheel bolts. Any thoughts on what it could be. Thanks

Are you sure it's from the trans area? Remove belt to isolate accessory noises. Disconnect torque converter and see if the noise is still there? Can you hear the noise idled down low in 2nd gear cruise speed? What about if you lock the TCC in 2nd (not hydraulically available until 2nd)? What TC is it?

Totally different trans but I had a customer bring in a F350 once that sounded like marbles loose. If I manually locmed the TCC the problem would disappear.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I removed the accessory belt noise is still there. Car has a non lock up art carr 9 inch converter. I haven't even try to drive it since it developed the rattle. My next option is to disconnect the converter from the flywheel to see if it the Trans and not the motor that's making the rattle sound.

Might be a cracked flexplate [sorry hate the term flywheel as that is what is on front of stick shift]but you are headed in right direction disconnect from engine and see if noise goes away,but before you do that use some mechanics ears [cheap at auto store]or even a screwdriver and put to your ear and try to pinp0int noise by moving screwdriver tip around in area of noise and see if you can pinpoint it .The flexplates can crack around where it bolts to crank flange.

Found issue. Flexplate is cracked in a round circle where the bolts are. Time to replace Flexplate , anyone know where to get a good replacement. Thanks