1-2 accumulator spring

72SS

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I am building my first 200r4 for my 72 chevelle ss. I have a 468 BBC making around 500hp and 550 lb ft torque. I am wondering whether or not to install the 1-2 accumulator spring or leave it out? What are you guys running in your trannys making similar hp/tq? I have ck's book and will be using a billet fwd drum and a non-lock up converter.

Thanks,

Guy

I run a spring. I had used a very heavy spring in mine and shifted too hard. So I found one a little softer and now it shifts the way I want. If you run the billet servo and wide band and no spring it will shift very, very harsh. Changing the spring is not hard and you can tune the shift to your needs.

Imo

Take into consideration what convertor you are running. A small N/L --plug the feed holes per CK manual. A stock type convertor --might want to fine tune it as boostingbuick suggested.

According to CK's book, he recommended not using a spring and blocking the accumulator housing for applications running over 400hp. I am running his shift kit , billet servo, and wide alto red band. I guess I will try the spring first and if it doesn't shift hard enough I'll go with blocking the accumulator housing. Thanks for the input!

We will now be including a lighter stock type 1/2 accumulator spring in our kit as well as a bunch of new items including a new governor spring,inner tv valve spring and a new 3/4 acc spring.ill keep everyone up to date on it.