1-2 gear timing?

Fast4Ward

i have mine at 25 right now but wondering what's a wicked amount to blast off on? and what you guys have it at.
i've got a stock spare motor (50's, ic, turbonetics 60) that i have beating on like crazy with alky at 25-29# boost...she has yet to ping and go over 175 on coolant. i have yet to take the car to track.

I used to run more timing but now I rarely go above 23 in 1st/2nd. If anything I've been running lower timing as I haven't seen it make much difference in ET.

Last Friday I went almost 106mph in the 1/8th with a 1.50 60ft with 23/20 timing. To go faster I'll add more boost and either keep the timing the same or maybe reduce it some. Seems more forgiving with less timing.

And even with a nearly stock combo on my old GN, I went high 11s on a stock turbo with just 23/21 timing.

I've gone as high as 26, maybe 27 degrees timing in 1-2. But I don't think I ever gained anything. Much better to add boost and get the tune/fueling right IMO.

Better safe than $orry...lol

I run 24* in 1st,2nd. You want the high timing down low. Also, our cars go through 1,2 gear so fast, high timing isn't a problem in 1st/2nd. But you want the timing to drop off up top. I run 19* 3,4. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Joe