108 block? ... or could it have been a 109?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Ran across a 3.8 (motor was already pulled out sitting on the ground with a tarp over it.....)in the boneyard.... I swore it was a 108 casting number....

I can't find that number anywhere on the boards. You rekon it was a 109?

I guess I should add.... the motor appeard to have the reminants of a remanufactured sticker toward the back of the drivers side valve cover... looked kinda like a goodwrench sticker... had some black and orange on it....

If it is remanned... it probably isn't std bore... so I can't decide if I am going back to try and deal on this motor or not....

Any advice?

I read on another post... that the goodwrench engines.... could likely have the rolled fillet turbo crank in it..... makes me a little more interested......

Hard to say what it is. I know the 109 casting is RWD and the 110 is FWD. I guess if you didn't clean the dirt off it could look like a 9 or an 8. Goodwrench motors could have anything. I've never seen a 109 Goodwrench so you'll have to pull the pan and see. Another thing to look for and its the easy way to eyeball a 109 without looking is the drain plugs on both sides of the block. No other 3.8 block,except the stage motors have drain plugs. If the block is still in the car you can usually peek through the drivers wheel house and see them without getting dirty.

The motor isn't in a car. It should be easy to check. I would have looked closer... but I thought it said 108......so I didn't waste anymore time. I did give it a little extra attention trying to clean off the casting number with a small piece of scrap steel... and a rag that was laying there beside it.... It also had the "109" (the 9 was partially covered up by the motor mount) on the pass side.... just the 3 characters... in a larger font than the full casting number on the drivers side....Only after getting back home... did I realize there was no 108 as far as I can tell.... and it must have been a 109....

I will also look for the SG1 I read about as well.....

Forgot to update this thread....

It was a 109 block. It was also an SG1 block.... and after cleaning the black valve covers.... the sticker on it said "Goodwrench". Upon furter reading... I think it was a replacement engine (longblock). the engine was black.... but the intake was blue.... so it appears it was bought as a longblock.....It also was std bore... with the std/std "turbo" rolled fillet (on the mains and the rods) crank. It was a great find for me. I have it at the machine shop now. I am boring it .030 (cylinders had some wear).... Crank polished up fine... std/std...

Great find for $50 :biggrin: