109 block in OLDS

rw87tt

Found a 25526109 block in 1984-87 OLDS. It has not been rebored and it does'nt seem to have a lot of ring wear on it. It does not have the turbo crank. Only the mains are rolled and it has not been turned and it is clean. It also has the 109 heads 25518445. Thinking of pulling it for a spare. It seems these blocks are in demand and are getting hard to find. Especially one that is untouched. The down side is having to pay a machine shop to check it out to make sure the block, heads, and crank are rebuildable. Later,:biggrin:

Yep their out there to be found. I normally pay around $150 and not over $200 for a N/A 109 or a 4.1.

If the block doesn't show any signs of cracks or other abuse than it's good to go. You're going to have to align bore and have the cylinders sized anyway along with the usuall blueprint stuff when you build it. Throw the crank in the trash unless you want to run the NA crank. There are few that have done it with success. It wouldn't be cost effective to have the rod journals rolled anyway.

I always pull the heads when I snag one in the boneyards. I've never found one that had any machine work done. Ring wear doesn't bother me as the block will get a .010+ bore. The only time I've thrown them back is when I see a popped HG or cracked head. That tells me the motor got hot and it's a probable POS. It's kind of a toss up when the valley is dirtier than heck from the filter and oil not being changed regularly. That crap can hide a lot of flaws you cant see until the block is hot tanked.

109 blocks

Thanks for the info turbofish38. I'll find out wether this block and heads are good soon enough. I'll start a rebuild soon on my car. I've read that n/a cranks have been used on turbo cars with good results. I don't think I would risk my motor comming apart as expensive as a good rebuild is.

:D I found a n/a crank in my last motor. I was pissed! its not worth using. When I seen that junk, I gave it to a dude who drives around looking for scrap metal.