17x9 Wheel and tire question

Josh2500

Whats is the largest and widest tire that will go on a 17x9 wheel. Also, with what backspacing? Im looking to get the tire and wheel as close to the outside of the car as i can. I will roll the lip of the fenders if necessary. I am thinking a 315 or will that be to big? This is for the rear by the way. Thanks

After looking, I guess im going to go with 17x8 wheels all the way around with 4" backspacing. I plan on running 275/40/17's on the rear. Could I run that same size up front so i can rotate them or is that to much tire for the front? Also, I am looking to get the tires and wheels as close to the outside fenders as I can. Will this give me the stance im looking for?

I think a 275 is too wide on front unless you have the GNX flares and can space the front wheels out a bit. I think mine are 245 in front and 275 out back?

My brother has 17x8 with 3.5 backspacing with 275/40/17's all the way around on his GN. The front just barely rub at full lock. Just barely, not enough to even worry about. So I am thinking if i go with a 4" backspacing i should be ok. Is anyone running this setup?

I went ahead and ordered a set of wheels. Got 17x8 with 4" Backspacing with 245/40/17 tires and 17x9.5 with 4.5" Backspacing for the rears. Im still searching to see what is the biggest tire for the rear of my car. Im thinking either 285/40/17 or maybe even a 315/40/17 if i can fit it. Any ideas as far as the rear tire size goes?

I went ahead and ordered a set of wheels. Got 17x8 with 4" Backspacing with 245/40/17 tires and 17x9.5 with 4.5" Backspacing for the rears. Im still searching to see what is the biggest tire for the rear of my car. Im thinking either 285/40/17 or maybe even a 315/40/17 if i can fit it. Any ideas as far as the rear tire size goes?

LOL. Good luck with that.

Please post pics when you are done. And send me the link to the 315/40R17 tire when you find it; I'll swap you for the location to the fountain of youth or a unicorn.

Excuse me. 315/35/17. To many numbers. Are you trying to say that will be too much tire? Thats why im asking. Im waiting to order the rear tires until I can decide what I want. I can always go with the 285/40.

Excuse me. 315/35/17. To many numbers. Are you trying to say that will be too much tire? Thats why im asking. Im waiting to order the rear tires until I can decide what I want. I can always go with the 285/40.

Have you ever looked at a tire spec sheet before? If so, do you understand what you are reading?

If not, click on the titles and it will explain the meaning of each column and how it relates to tire selection. Do this and then come back with any outstanding questions.

Start here:
Kumho Ecsta XS

Hint: You want to really pay attention to "measured rim width".

I've read up on it. The reason I asked is i was going to run the Nitto's and they run a little narrow. I know they recommend at least a 10.5 wheel with 315's, however with the nitto running narrow I thought it may could fit. I should have asked if I could run the Nitto vs. anything else. I'm going to go with the 285 just to be safe. Thanks for the input.

What wheels did you get? You should post up some pics when you get it together, i'm interested in 17's for my car just haven't found the right set yet.